Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Modify Other Barrels to Savage Barrel Nut?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 05:20 PM
Silver Member

Re: Modify Other Barrels to Savage Barrel Nut?

Jim at northland shooters supplie has a good selection of these barrels in stock
great guy to deal with
why not buy a Savage
then barrel -throat erosion is no big deal
Jim sells match quality barrels around 300.00
no gunsmith fee's reqired
to rebarrel a Savage
& I have never seen a better more accurate firearm design
thats why 4 or 5 major gunmakers are copying the Savage design
imitation is the most sincere form of flattery
if ya cant beat em - join em
Old 03-08-2013, 06:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
I wouldn,t say it is a bad idea, just impractical and costly.

If you use a Remington barrel you would have to turn the barrel down to 1" and re thread it to 1" 16 TPI

You could take a barrel and cut the tenon off and turn it to 1 1/16th and thread it to 1 1/16 TPI and make a barrel nut if you wanted to convert a Remington or any other action to work like a Savage.

OR you could just buy new savage barrels or take offs.

The main reason that I eliminate the barrel nut is, less moving parts and fit tolerances, You can have
a larger barrel shank (Normally 1.250 or 1.375) that adds strength around the chamber on large cases.
And looks better IMO.

J E CUSTOM
I dont shoot the Ruger Model-77's anymore but dad still loves them and waaay back yonder I had one in a .300 WINMAG. I had a shilan barrel installed and the gunsmith showed me a little trick with my factory barrel , while out of the stock he had me place one hand on the action and another on the barrel he said now try to work the two and I could feel a slight wiggle where the action and barrel joined. He told me he would cut the threads on my shiland barrel so tight that when started it would feel extremely tight all the way down . Another words in redneck language he would have to bow up on it to tighten it up.

Not to be rude but in my opinion I wouldnt degrade any Remington by installing a ugly barrel Nut..... Makes me think of that skeleton trigger patooie.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post

Not to be rude but in my opinion I wouldnt degrade any Remington by installing a ugly barrel Nut..... Makes me think of that skeleton trigger patooie.
Agree, that is not the intent. The intent is to be able to use a Rem or Howa or whatever throwaway barrel as a fireforming barrel on a Savage action.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-08-2013, 07:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Agree, that is not the intent. The intent is to be able to use a Rem or Howa or whatever throwaway barrel as a fireforming barrel on a Savage action.

Oh I didnt realize what you where doing . I am a little Remington prejudice all I seen was you wanted to put the nut on a 700 Action LOL Sorry....

Good luck with your project.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:50 PM
Platinum Member

I know at least two shooters that bought take off Remington Mod 40 barrels and cut them back to fit their Savage rifles. I see no reason why a guy couldn't take a Savage barrel and cut it back to use in a Remington (with a new nut.) Be even easier with a large shank barrel
gary
Old 03-10-2013, 10:36 AM
SPONSOR

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but, I was under the impression that Savage uses 20TPI. They've got a "large shank" that measures 1 1/16" and a "small shank" that measures 1.050" (major thread diameters). Remingtons' tenon is 1 1/16" x 16tpi. 1 1/16" tanslates to 1.0625". Turning .0125" (that's twelve and one half thousants) from a Remington tenon isn't going to 'clean-up' the 16tpi. You'll still have part of the old Remington thread. I know of no way to magicly turn 16tpi into 20tpi. Also, cutting the treads completely off will not leave you with much shank to turn down and thread. Remington factory barrels just don't have much 'extra' shank, neither does Howa (Howa shank/tenon is metric, measures 1.020" I think). So, it seems to me, if you're going to use a Savage action the easiest route would be to use savage 'take-off' barrels (of the proper bore & groove) and set back and reamed to your specs for fire forming cases. You'd have to be picky to be sure the new chamber would completely remove the old one. And besides, you'd have that interchangable bolt head, too. All of this ignores the problems related from using brass fired in one chamber in another. Sometimes it works,,, sometimes it doesn't.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:51 AM
Platinum Member

I think if you look at it really hard it becomes much easier to buy a barrel blank and have it fitted.
You'll be into a gunsmith probably more dollars having him cut the barrel back at least the thread length then chambering and hoping the new chamber goes in dead nuts and takes out all of the old one.
A new McGowen blank is $165 and it gives a gunsmith a clean canvas so to speak, in my mind the new blank gives me better vibes