Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Model 700 chambering issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2008, 01:39 PM
Platinum Member

Model 700 chambering issues

My 700 LA is having chambring issues (I think). I have to put excessive force on the bolt to close it on FL resized brass, and some new brass. I took some FL sized brass and measured Head space with a cartridge HS gauge. They vary aliitle 1/1000th give or take, but if I take two peices of brass both measuring the same(to the datum) one will chamber fine and not the other. So I thought I'll try some brand new Nosler custom brass. Most of it measures the same as my FL sized brass. I start chambering it and I still have some that chamber with more difficulty than others. So I colored the shoulder of some of the new brass and I get a ring on every one in the shoulder area but the mark is not exactly on the shoulder. the rings show just before the shoulder crease on the brass on 3 different brand new peices. This does not seem right, does anyone have any insight?
Old 08-14-2008, 01:45 AM
Gold Member

Re: Model 700 chambering issues

Is this a brand new gun or one you just acquired? I have to assume it is.

If this is redundant, I apologize, but lets cover the fundamentals a bit.

Strip the bolt of anything that has or is driven by a spring and recheck your headspace with a SAAMI spec go gauge. The bolt should fall into battery with no effort on your part.

If it does not do that, then you have a chamber that's tight.

There are a couple options, the first is the "right" answer, but all will work.

1. Either send the gun back or chase the existing chamber with a finishing chamber reamer of the same cartridge.

2. Size all your brass so that they will chamber, which will require bumping the shoulder back a bit and maybe trimming the necks if its really out of whack.

3. Taking a cut off the back of the bolt lugs or from the bolt face to loosen things up. Understand that doing this has an effect on the timing of the action and it will reduce the amount of firing pin travel (not protrusion, just travel) Unless we are talking HUGE amounts I wouldn't concern myself with that though.

Now, if the gauge does indeed fall on the chamber and the rifle is in proper headspace, then I'd obtain a small quantity of brand new brass and go from there.

Good luck.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:36 AM
Platinum Member

Is this the correct go-gauge? It's from Brownell's:

319-306-049
.30-06, GO

I did try new Nosler brass and had some that chambered and some that fought back. I also had the same results with FL sized brass. All of with had the same length to the datum.

Last edited by jmason; 08-14-2008 at 07:41 AM. Reason: add info
Old 08-15-2008, 12:25 AM
Gold Member

Call David Kiff at Pacific Tool and Gauge in White City Oregon.

All tooling is not created equal.

Nough said.

Dave will do you right.

Good luck

Chad

Chad Dixon
Gunmkaker
LongRifles, Inc. (coming soon)
Old 08-15-2008, 12:36 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmason View Post
Is this the correct go-gauge? It's from Brownell's:

319-306-049
.30-06, GO

I did try new Nosler brass and had some that chambered and some that fought back. I also had the same results with FL sized brass. All of with had the same length to the datum.
If some are squeaking in then I'd guess you are close to the minimum side of the HS for the cartridge. Not a bad thing necessarily, but I think you'll want to hear this part.

About four/five years ago I was building a 6mm-284 for a guy. I get the rifle done and it just will not shoot. Groups just absolutely sucked balls.

So, naturally I'm pissed, I'm boring a hole through my skull with my finger with all the head scratching, and I'm spending long hours at the reloading bench/test tunnel trying to figure this thing out because I KNOW I built it right. It was a Nesika K action, Kreiger barrel, and a bad ass looking laminate heavy bench stock. No reason for this rifle to be acting stupid like this.

Well, turns out the HS was tight on the gun. I switched to new brass and it had chambering issues, just like your gun does right now.

I pulled it apart and squeaked in the last little bit and suddenly it was a whole new rifle. It hammered groups that'd scare you to death, just like it was supposed to.

I couldn't tell you to this day why it made such a difference, nor do I care. It worked and I've not made the same mistake again since. Better to be lucky than good right?

Good luck

Chad Dixon
Gunmaker
Old 08-15-2008, 09:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NesikaChad View Post

I pulled it apart and squeaked in the last little bit and suddenly it was a whole new rifle. It hammered groups that'd scare you to death, just like it was supposed to.

Good luck

Chad Dixon
Gunmaker

You lost me on "squeaked in the last little bit". Did you ream the chamber to get a little more HS?
Old 08-17-2008, 04:12 AM
Gold Member

Exactly.

Just threw it back in the lathe and fed the tool in by hand to where it just shaved a "red one" off and then did the ol 320 fluff and buff at low rpm to get the surface finish I want.

Half hour of work at the most.