Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Model 70 bolt shroud

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 08:05 AM
Bronze Member

Model 70 bolt shroud

Hey guys, I have rifle getting built off a 1965 model 70 long action. I have not seen this rifle in person (I know, I know) but I'm told it has a big ugly bolt shroud on the first few years of the post 64's. Is this a cover that can be removed or do I need some aftermarket pieces to make it look like the more modern bolt? Just trying to get some info before I call my smith. Thanks everyone in advance!
Old 03-20-2012, 01:15 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Model 70 bolt shroud

Quote:
Originally Posted by .284me View Post
Hey guys, I have rifle getting built off a 1965 model 70 long action. I have not seen this rifle in person (I know, I know) but I'm told it has a big ugly bolt shroud on the first few years of the post 64's. Is this a cover that can be removed or do I need some aftermarket pieces to make it look like the more modern bolt? Just trying to get some info before I call my smith. Thanks everyone in advance!
I believe that the shroud can be removed by knocking out a pin. It then will resemble the model 670. You may be able to replace the striker/pin assembly. It would be very easy try if you know someone who has a later model 70 long action. I personally didn't think it looked that bad. I have a 1972 with this design. It's similar to the current Cooper. Of bigger concern might be the basic bolt design. The first post 64's did not have the bolt rail guide and slot which made for a very sloppy bolt. They soon corrected this when shooters complained.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 03-20-2012, 03:39 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Model 70 bolt shroud

Thanks Greyfox! Very good info! I will do some more research and let you know what I find. I'm a little concerned about the bolt slop now though.... But it's all good. My dad has an old push feed model 70 that I will look at and run the numbers on for comparison. Thanks again!