Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

mod 70 rebarrel to .300wm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 09:06 PM
Silver Member

Re: mod 70 rebarrel to .300wm

Winmag- Did the smith that built your wsm did he have to do lot of machining to action to get it to feed correctly? I sent email to a smith and was told there would be some machining involved and was told to stick with Wsm action prob be easier. Just curious. Got couple other emails out but have not heard anything for several weeks may have to resend emails.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:39 PM
Bronze Member

how about 308 norma mag (belted) same length as 06. GES
Old 08-22-2013, 11:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemens View Post
Winmag- Did the smith that built your wsm did he have to do lot of machining to action to get it to feed correctly? I sent email to a smith and was told there would be some machining involved and was told to stick with Wsm action prob be easier. Just curious. Got couple other emails out but have not heard anything for several weeks may have to resend emails.
He re-worked the bottom metal, massaged the feed rails, honed the feed ramp, & shortened up the bolt stop.
He was already truing the action, opening, & truing the bolt face, & lapping the lugs, to be true, & centered with the bore. (Quality gun smithing)
Machining seems to be something he does quite well. Aesthetics, not so much.

Typically when a machining thread comes up here on LRH, he gives advise.

Find a smith who is not only willing, but is good at machining would be a very wise move for any build IMO.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 08-24-2013, 02:48 PM
Silver Member

The person I sent email to was giving me some advise to make it simple but didn't seem interested in building it. Thanks for the reply.