Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Misaligned Scope mounting holes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2014, 03:03 AM
Gold Member

Re: Misaligned Scope mounting holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hired Gun View Post
Either system will get the scope centered. The Burris inserts are good for up to 40 MOA correction and can do elevation and windage depending on how they are orientated. I like them and use them on everything that isn't getting a pic rail or Talley Lightweights. They are structurally superior to the windage adjustable bases. They do have a place though because they will fix the worst possible misalignment.

Before you go milling/drilling new holes to line things up have the action checked out and see if those scope holes are really out of line with the bolt raceway. Your barrel can easily have this much curve or be threaded crooked. I see factory barrels very crooked when we dial them in for brakes. The last thing you want to do is try plugging and redrilling. That is the very last ditch salvage maneuver.
That's what I was going to suggest.
I have a Model 70 that HAS to run windage adjustable bases, the holes are aligned perfectly, but the barrel is on crooked, it has in excess of 45MoA to the left of centre from the true bolt axis. I was lucky that the windage adjustable bases allowed this much adjustment.
To check the hole alignment, I ran mine in a mill fixture, the crooked barrel was obvious, even without a depth guage running along it!

Cheers.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:38 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
Not to start an argument but I have to disagree on this one . the Windage adjustable base has over .100 thousandths of adjustment + and may make up the difference . I like the Burris rings but they were not made to correct that much error. (Mostly for elevation help in lieu of MOA Bases).

I personally don't like to use them if I don't have to but sometimes they help to keep the reticle
centered better allowing for max adjustments.

I have never seen a scope in good working order that would not center with these bases.

J E CUSTOM
I'm not disagreeing the windage bases would work, they would work great. Considering he already has the money tied up in his current bases and rings it would be cheaper for him to get different inserts.
My favorite setup is Warne weaver style bases and Warne steel rings, but that won't always work the way I want it to.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hired Gun View Post
Either system will get the scope centered. The Burris inserts are good for up to 40 MOA correction and can do elevation and windage depending on how they are orientated. I like them and use them on everything that isn't getting a pic rail or Talley Lightweights. They are structurally superior to the windage adjustable bases. They do have a place though because they will fix the worst possible misalignment.

Before you go milling/drilling new holes to line things up have the action checked out and see if those scope holes are really out of line with the bolt raceway. Your barrel can easily have this much curve or be threaded crooked. I see factory barrels very crooked when we dial them in for brakes. The last thing you want to do is try plugging and redrilling. That is the very last ditch salvage maneuver.
+1! They are simply amazing ...

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:20 AM
Bronze Member

With the Burris Signature ZEE rings I was able to adjust 25 minutes of elevation and 14 minutes of windage on my slug gun at 100 yards. I ended up having to use 4 clicks on the scope turret to zero it out. That experience made me a believer in those rings.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:27 PM
Silver Member

OK, between the adjustable bases and the Pos-Align inserts, I got it where I only am about 18 clicks on a 1/8 MOA scope off in elevation and about 12 clicks in windage. Don't think I can do any better with a Bore sight and a range of 25 yards without taking it out and shooting it in.

Want to thank everyone for their input and it did help a lot having others suggest alternatives. i now have almost the full range of the scope to adjust in case i decide to change the zero range.

Again, Thanks everyone.

Bruce
Old 07-26-2014, 06:40 PM
SPONSOR

Looks like hell to have that windage adjustable rear base racked all the way to one side. When ya' see that, ya' know something's wrong!
Old 07-26-2014, 07:42 PM
Platinum Member

I've ran into this kinda stuff a couple times recently where in an effort to run normal rings instead of windage someone put two piece bases on and tried to get zero'ed, maxed out the Burris rings but it worked. Talked them out of being cheap and slapped on Nightforce rails, windage ended up being within a couple MOA of optical center and Burris 0 inserts were installed.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"