Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Min or Max Saami Spec Reamers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2011, 06:05 AM
Gold Member

Re: Min or Max Saami Spec Reamers

JE, I, like you, build rifles for a living. On most, if not all, of the rifles, that I build for serious competition, I specify "Min Spec" reamers. On the Law Enforcement rifles I use "Standard SAAMI" reamers.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:05 AM
Silver Member

Hello Eddieherrin, nice to read your thread. When you say minnimum what are you reffering to? The entire chamber, length, taper, neck diameter and its length, freeboore length, and then chamber them with zero headspace. I'm haveing a hard time understanding how a Ream could be called anything without actual specifications. I honestly can't think of a single benefit tight chambers provide with factory ammunition. For the handloader any difference totally dissapears other than neck O.D. and freebore length. After fireforming the cartridge to chamber differences are the sole property of the dies and practices of the person makeing the handloads.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:10 AM
Gold Member

I'm speaking of all case dimensions. I want to say again, I only use "Min Spec" reamers for serious competition rifles. I would not use a "Min Spec" reamer on a rifle that will be using factory ammo or, a rifle to be used in law enforcement.
When ordering a reamer for a benchrest rifle, all of the case dimensions are specified. Neck dia., case dia. at the base and the shoulder, length, lead, freebore and lead angle.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieHarren View Post
I'm speaking of all case dimensions. I want to say again, I only use "Min Spec" reamers for serious competition rifles. I would not use a "Min Spec" reamer on a rifle that will be using factory ammo or, a rifle to be used in law enforcement.
When ordering a reamer for a benchrest rifle, all of the case dimensions are specified. Neck dia., case dia. at the base and the shoulder, length, lead, freebore and lead angle.

+1
Thank you Eddie !!!!

You said it better than I did.

If it is anything other than SAMMI spec. It is not standard there for it is not SAMMI, but custom,
based off SAMMI dimensions.

J E CUSTOM
Old 08-19-2011, 07:02 PM
Platinum Member

The SAAMI answer is real simple for anyone to see for themselves. Go to the SAAMI website and look at the reamer drawings for a cartridge and you will see two distinctly different drawings. They will be for the minumum and maximum specifications for that cartridge.

So yes there is really a min and max SAAMI specification for each cartridge.

For example, on the 30'06 neck diameter is spec'd from .3404 to .3397 and body diameter from .4708 to .4698. Now add the .010 SAAMI variance in headspacing. That is also why you use GO and NO GO gauges to determine IF the chamber is cut to be within those two specifications.

Every SAAMI factory cartridge is required to be able to fit in the minimum SAAMI chamber cut with a minimum spec reamer. So a minimum SAAMI chamber is required to completely safe for a factory cartidge, just on the minimum side. Read the SAAMI specs for cartridges and you will see that is 100% accurate.

So yes it is safe to fire any factory cartridge in a minimum SAAMI spec chamber.

You will find most dies are cut to size minimum SAAMI fired cases also, but not always. You can and will find variances inbetween die mftrs.

So if you want a real loose chamber go max SAAMI.

This is another reason to have your own reamer cut to your specs or at least what the reamer mftr says will work best for your application and bullet rather than risk a max SAAMI reamer being used.

BH
Old 08-19-2011, 07:26 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BountyHunter View Post
For example, on the 30'06 neck diameter is spec'd from .3404 to .3397 and body diameter from .4708 to .4698.
I don't think that is correct. You are looking at two different things, cartridge specs and chamber specs. The cartridge dimension is a maximum dimension and the chamber dimension is a minimum dimension.

Example:
The 30-06 cartridge has a maximum .200" base diameter of .4698" with a -.008 acceptable. Most new cases will measure around .465"

The chamber has a minimum .200" diameter of .4708" with a +.002 acceptable.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:29 PM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
I don't think that is correct. You are looking at two different things, cartridge specs and chamber specs. The cartridge dimension is a maximum dimension and the chamber dimension is a minimum dimension.

Example:
The 30-06 cartridge has a maximum .200" base diameter of .4698" with a -.008 acceptable. Most new cases will measure around .465"

The chamber has a minimum .200" diameter of .4708" with a +.002 acceptable.
That is exactly what the SAAMI print says. +.002 on dimentions of .050" or greater, unless specified otherwise. SAAMI s' web site w/prints is easy to find, just be sure you're looking at the correct drawing, the chamber not the cartridge. The top print is for the cartridge, the bottom one for the chamber.