Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Mexican Mauser barrel thread?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2010, 09:45 PM
Platinum Member

Mexican Mauser barrel thread?

I've got a used barrel reportedly taken off a small ring 98 Mexican Mauser. My pitch gage says it's a 13 tpi. Shouldn't it be a 12 tpi? The major thread diameter is .960". Should it be .980"? The barrel is not the original military barrel, and I don't know who made it.

I know virtually nothing about small ring 98's, and didn't find anything in Ackley's handbooks.

Thanks, Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 08-03-2010, 04:10 PM
SPONSOR

Re: Mexican Mauser barrel thread?

1910 & 1936 Mexican Mauser '98,,,, .980"x 12t.p.i 55 deg. Whitworth. Model 1924 is 1.1"x 12t.p.i. 55 deg. Whitworth thread
Old 08-03-2010, 05:13 PM
Platinum Member

Shortgrass, I got a look at the receiver the barrel came out of. It's marked 1941 and was made in Mexico City. I'm betting it's the 1936 model. The barrel to receiver thread fit was terrible. I think the barrel is unusable.

Thanks very much for taking the time to help. I now know what it was supposed to be.

Good hunting, Tom

Old 08-03-2010, 06:15 PM
SPONSOR

Somebodys' 'doctored' it to suit themselves. Might be for something else. All three original models were made by FN. I wouldn't be surprised to learn some replacement parts were made in Mexico.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:57 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah, I wish I had the chance to really examine it. The crest on the top of the receiver ring said something like "Fabrica de Armas Nacional Mexico DF around the Mexican eagle, with 1941 stamped at the bottom. No reference to FN. I looked for that. Just a serial # along the left side. No other markings I can remember.

Shoot, I just snapped. The Germans took over FN in 1940, so it's unlikely they were making rifles for Mexico in 1941. This thing probably was made in Mexico?????

I rechecked the barrel tenon thread. The pitch gage fits much better on 13 tpi than it does on 12. I'm wondering if someone pulled the wrong switch setting up to cut the threads. Is it possible that a thread fit could be so bad that a 13 pitch barrel thread would make up in a 12 pitch receiver. The short tenon only has about 5 threads. When I tried the barrel in the receiver, it flopped around, and would make up freely by hand.

Since you were good enough to help me, I am passing along everything I have learned about it. It's academic now, because I can't use the barrel, and the receiver doesn't belong to me. (thank goodness)

Think I'll stick with the large rings.

Thanks again Shortgrass. Tom

Old 08-04-2010, 07:14 AM
SPONSOR

Kind of like a "Mexican Chiang Kai-Shek"! Those original 'small ring' Mauser "98's were highly desirable for light weight customs when they were available. The Mexican & Peruvian '98's have been gone for a generation now. I think the thing to remember here is that they are Model 1898's in every sense, except the barrel thread (on the small rings). They have the "Mauser Collar", they do most of the firing pin retraction (cocking) as the bolt handle is lifted, have the 'saftey' third locking lug, the guide rib on the bolt body, and the 'gas' shield on the bolt shroud, all features the earlier model rifles didn't have. I just found some conflicting info that says the 1936 Short Rifle was made in The Goverment Arms factory in Mexico City, not by FN. It looks like , over the years that the Mauser '98 was the bolt rifle to have , Mexico imported rifles from Germany (DWM), Austria (Steyr), Czechoslovakia (CZ), and Belgium (FN) besides making their own (model 1936 & 1954).

Last edited by shortgrass; 08-04-2010 at 07:48 AM. Reason: more info
Old 08-04-2010, 10:27 AM
Platinum Member

Ted, all the info you've posted fits.

I was asked by the owner (a good friend), if I would put a 6.5 x .284 barrel in this action. At first, I thought it would be O.K., but with what I've learned here and from looking at the action, I changed my mind. The 6.5 x .284 is a fairly fat, high pressure round. It doesn't look to me like the small ring has enough steel around the chamber to be safe with this cartridge. No science, just my opinion.

I appreciate all your help. Tom