Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Messed up bolt face on 338rum rem 700

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 03:17 PM

Messed up bolt face on 338rum rem 700

Went out shooting my 338rum Remington 700 this weekend and in the middle of shooting took the bolt out to clean the rifle. When looking at the bolt face I found a dent/nick out of it. The gun shot fine with no problem other than the loads I had were not accurate. I have no clue how this happened but it looks like something hit it hard like it was dropped. My question is does this require a whole new bolt? I have the feeling it is going to but they don't give them away. Below is a pic.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:03 PM
Gold Member

Re: Messed up bolt face on 338rum rem 700

cant really see from pic to well, but could it be "flame cut" from blown primers?
Old 03-07-2013, 04:05 PM
Platinum Member

The machinist in me says it's fixable, I could fix it but you probably can't. I'm curious about the 2 lateral scratches/gouges in the outer face at 10:00 o'clock too. The angle of the scratches/gouges coincide with the divot......

Whatever impacted it raised the metal proud of the bolt face (you can see the ridge). I'd have that ridge removed and smoothed use it. Some very careful work with a micro die grinder and appropriate stone would work.

Whats the history of the rifle? Loan it to anyone or has it been somewhere other than in your possession? Stuff like that don't happen...usually.

Keep in mind that most bolt/receivers are matched pairs.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
The machinist in me says it's fixable, I could fix it but you probably can't. I'm curious about the 2 lateral scratches/gouges in the outer face at 10:00 o'clock too. The angle of the scratches/gouges coincide with the divot......

Whatever impacted it raised the metal proud of the bolt face (you can see the ridge). I'd have that ridge removed and smoothed use it. Some very careful work with a micro die grinder and appropriate stone would work.

Whats the history of the rifle? Loan it to anyone or has it been somewhere other than in your possession? Stuff like that don't happen...usually.

Keep in mind that most bolt/receivers are matched pairs.

Well I bought the rifle used awhile back but I know I looked at the bolt face at that time and did not see that. I really have clue what happened and at this point don't really care just want to make sure it is safe and useable. I did shoot about 20rds through it this weekend before I noticed it and I did not notice anything weird going on.

Running a knife edge over the area and the ding area is the only place I can feel messed up this includes the two scratches.I probably will take it to a gunsmith and see what they think but wanted some opinions before I do that.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 03-07-2013, 05:11 PM
Platinum Member

It hasn't compromised the firing pin passage and it's not too far up on the bolt face. A competent smith or even (and probably better) a tool and die shop when they do die rework will have the tools and experience in smoothing out the ridge and returning you to a flat face. Again, a good die repair person with a micro grinder and appropriate bit/stone could smooth that in a minute.

You will loose the parkerizing no matter what, however.

Depending on your seat length and headspace you might find bolt cycling to become easier, not that I see any brass on the face itself.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
It hasn't compromised the firing pin passage and it's not too far up on the bolt face. A competent smith or even (and probably better) a tool and die shop when they do die rework will have the tools and experience in smoothing out the ridge and returning you to a flat face. Again, a good die repair person with a micro grinder and appropriate bit/stone could smooth that in a minute.

You will loose the parkerizing no matter what, however.

Depending on your seat length and headspace you might find bolt cycling to become easier, not that I see any brass on the face itself.
There really is no ridge on the bolt face the pic just makes it look like that. It actually is completely smooth except the little indent where it got hit by whatever.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:03 PM
Platinum Member

When you displace metal, it always 'flows' somewhere. You had a displacement so it flowed and it appears to have flowed upward. You might not be able to feel it but it's there nonetheless, so a 'smoothing and blending' won't hurt in the long view.

Like I said, a qualified die repair facility can do that in a minute, they do it everyday. A good smith can to but probably don't have the expertise that a die repair person has.

I'm still curious about the radial gouges. Whatever occured, I suspect the gouges are part of the impact.