Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Media Blasting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2011, 08:34 PM
Silver Member

Media Blasting

I am thinking about getting into doing a little bit of refinishing work on my own guns...just something new to tinker with really.

What material and grit is a good choice for these applications?

• Preparation before spraying Duracoat- I see 120grit Aluminum oxide recommended?

• Just knocking the shine off of a brushed stainless finish?

How difficult is it to get a nice even looking finish if the blasted stainless is to be the final finish?

How do you protect the muzzle crown when blasting?

What else should I know and probably don't? Pictures of different finishes would be great too if possible!

Last edited by Forester; 01-05-2011 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Media Blasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester View Post
I am thinking about getting into doing a little bit of refinishing work on my own guns...just something new to tinker with really.

What material and grit is a good choice for these applications?

• Preparation before spraying Duracoat- I see 120grit Aluminum oxide recommended?

• Just knocking the shine off of a brushed stainless finish?

How difficult is it to get a nice even looking finish if the blasted stainless is to be the final finish?

How do you protect the muzzle crown when blasting?

What else should I know and probably don't? Pictures of different finishes would be great too if possible!

I like to use sugar sand (very fine) because it is not very aggressive and makes it easy to make
the finish very uniform.

To protect the muzzle I use a ear plug in the bore and direct the blast away from the crown,
and tape the tenon and chamber to prevent any sand from entering.

I also totally blast the action before assembly using a turned wooden dowel that fits in the
receiver snug to protect the internal surfaces, and throughly clean before assembly.

The sugar sand does a nice job that is non-reflective.

I hope this helps.

J E CUSTOM
Old 01-06-2011, 07:53 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
I like to use sugar sand (very fine) because it is not very aggressive and makes it easy to make
the finish very uniform.

To protect the muzzle I use a ear plug in the bore and direct the blast away from the crown,
and tape the tenon and chamber to prevent any sand from entering.

I also totally blast the action before assembly using a turned wooden dowel that fits in the
receiver snug to protect the internal surfaces, and throughly clean before assembly.

The sugar sand does a nice job that is non-reflective.

I hope this helps.

J E CUSTOM

Is that like the "play sand" at Lowes? If so that certainly has the benefit of being cheap and easy to find locally.

Another question. I'm not going into business doing this so I don't need the biggest and best equipment, but I hate to buy junk too. There are several setups available at Harbor Freight and Northern Hydraulic but they all seem to need a pretty big compressor to operate.

I have a 5HP 17gallon tank compressor rated at 6.5CFM @ 40PSI and 5.1CFM at 90PSI 150PSI Max

Are there any decent media blast setups out there for gun work and other light utility type work for ~$150.00 or so?

The one I was considering is here: Portable Abrasive Blaster Kit

Air consumption seems to easily fit my compressor, and it is certainly cheap enough.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:21 AM
SPONSOR

"Play sand" and media used for finishing are two different things. Media used for finishing is glass beads, sometimes aluminum oxide. Most blast cabinets, that are worth while, require a pretty fair amount of air volume.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:44 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortgrass View Post
"Play sand" and media used for finishing are two different things. Media used for finishing is glass beads, sometimes aluminum oxide. Most blast cabinets, that are worth while, require a pretty fair amount of air volume.
I understand what glass beads and aluminum oxide are. What I was trying to understand is exactly what JE Custom way referring too as "Sugar Sand"

I am not looking for a cabinet, I don't want to take up the shop space. I am fine with losing the blasting material so a small portable unit is more in line with what I am looking for.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:53 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortgrass View Post
What media was used on the barrel for the rifle on your home page?
Old 01-06-2011, 08:54 AM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester View Post
What media was used on the barrel for the rifle on your home page?
80-100 mesh glass beads.