Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

McMillan Stock: will it ever get here?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2007, 10:27 PM
Gold Member

fifty I understand your thoughts. However do you personally think it's worth the crazy money and the time wait for a mcmillan. I mean come on there's guy's out there making hits at 2500 w/ hs take offs(Shawn Carlock comes to mind). I don't deny the mcmillian is beutiful but there's no way I'm waiting 25 weeks for a piece of fiberglass(they get boats out faster than that).
Old 07-16-2007, 11:14 PM
Silver Member

joel russo said 4 to 6 weeks i got mine in 5 weeks great stock great guy to do buissness with now

now all i need to do is put the action in it i got the A5 laminate .

DB
Old 07-17-2007, 09:40 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Linksmechanic,

There are things that McMillan will offer that no one else out there currently is offering, if these options are what a person wants there is a price to pay. If you want the most popular tactical style stock used right now, the A-5, again you will pay in waiting.

There are other options if you want a similiar stock as mentioned, Joels stocks are great to work with. Just bedded one up for a customer in 338 Allen Magnum. Will be an amazing rifle and his service is top notch all the way.

Manner stocks are also great options as are HS in certain applications.

Your referral to Shawn probably has as much to do with the guy that built the rifle and is shooting the rifle as opposed to what stock is on the rifle. I have shot with Shawn and shot his rifles, he is also a world class smith.

As to if the stock makes that much difference, again, I have built rifles using factory Laminates wood stocks. Two specific rifles come to mind, they were my personal 270 Allen Magnum based on a Savage M111 receiver with factory sporter stock and the other was my 7mm Allen Magnum based on a Rem 700 with a factory Laminate Sendero stock.

Both rifles were extremely accurate, both rifles took big game well over 700 yards and both rifles killed rock chucks with one shot kills over 1100 yards. Both rifles were also tested at over 2000 yards for accuracy and both held well under moa even at that extreme range. And this was with $100 stocks.

Again, it is my opinion that if the bedding is stress free and the rest of the rifle is build properly it WILL be a shooter, even at extreme range.

Still, if you want a McMillan A-5, you will have to order it from McMillan and get it when you get it. I guess thats all there is to it. If your happy with another quality stock, by all means order from a different company.

It is becoming well known that the A-5 takes a long time to get in. I tell this to every one of my customers that order custom rifles from me. Funny thing, I order A-5s at a rate of 5 to 1 of all other stocks combined and that is after I tell my customers about the long wait. Must be something to them as the orders just keep coming in.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 07-18-2007, 01:45 PM
Gold Member

Fivty: Have you ever tried the adj. tactical stocks by b&c? Just curious about some feedback on them. My buddy has one on a .308. built like a tank great fitment, full alum. bed block, adj. cheek piece and length. Way heavy though.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:54 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Never used that stock, sorry...

With a proper bedding sounds like it should work well but as you say, heavy.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 07-21-2007, 02:02 AM
Silver Member

Have you looked at an "MPI" stock. they offer an "A-5" style stock with about a 3 week turnaround. they offer more paint options then Mcmillan and a better price. I cant say they are a superior product but seem to be pretty darn good.

mpistocks.com

I am the way I am because I watched the movies "Red Dawn" and "Tremors" at a impressionable age.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:46 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linksmechanic View Post
Fivty: Have you ever tried the adj. tactical stocks by b&c? Just curious about some feedback on them. My buddy has one on a .308. built like a tank great fitment, full alum. bed block, adj. cheek piece and length. Way heavy though.
i have the B&C var tac with the adjustable cheek and butt i got it from LSB it was about 7 weeks to get it very nice stock fit and finish to me was top notch i dropped my VLS in 243 in it ill get around to bedding it one of these day's i have 3 in front of it it was $419

DB

Last edited by Dead Beat; 07-21-2007 at 06:52 PM. Reason: hit the wrong botton before i was done