Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

May have damaged my barrel...Heip Please! What about the chamber??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2011, 09:39 PM

May have damaged my barrel...Heip Please! What about the chamber??

Remington model 30-s douglas barrel in 22-250, need advise...
I sent a remington action and barrel in to be powdercoated. Now it looks as if the powdercoating was done without plugging the barrel muzzle or chamber. I can look in the barrel and see the start of some of the lands but the grooves looks like a potting bed. Is my barrel ruined? Any advice or help would be much appreciated.

Respectfully,
Shepardswatch

Last edited by shepardswatch; 04-16-2011 at 12:25 AM.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:05 PM
Platinum Member

Re: May have damaged my barrel...Heip Please!!!

Who would have thought that the action (where the bolt rides) chamber and muzzle wouldn't have been protected/plugged.

Powder coating is not a precise process in my opinion. Great for auto parts etc and even rifle exterior metal part.

I have ideas of what I would try after having a heart to heart with the powder coating service provider provided no recourse.

Maybe an old salt such as J E Custom will chime in.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Who would have thought that the action (where the bolt rides) chamber and muzzle wouldn't have been protected/plugged.

Powder coating is not a precise process in my opinion. Great for auto parts etc and even rifle exterior metal part.

I have ideas of what I would try after having a heart to heart with the powder coating service provider provided no recourse.

Maybe an old salt such as J E Custom will chime in.

Try a heavy cleaning with a bore brush and bore solvent and then if it looks like most of it is
gone shoot some starting loads through it. it won't stay there under that kind of pressure.

PO Ackley did some test with larger bullets (I would not recommend this) and even fired an
8mm bullet in a 30/06 with out any problem (The bullet was extruded longer)When recovered
so after removing all you can just shoot it.

It also might be a good place to use a FEW Tubs Fire lapping bullets.

Just a few recomendations from an (OLD SALT) Ha. Ha.

J E CUSTOM
Old 04-14-2011, 04:48 AM

Thank you.... JE Custom, I'll give it a shot... so to speak.
Have a great day.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:22 AM
Gold Member

If this was done by a powdercoating service to one of my customs... I'd have a few things to say to them right now...
Old 04-14-2011, 08:07 AM
Platinum Member

JB or Iosso should take it out. Follow directions and if you know anyone with a bore scope borroe it. If you were in the DFW area I would do it for you.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:08 AM
Silver Member

You can get a cleaning rod,patches,hand lapping paste and a jig (cal spacific). and hand lap the Powder coating out of it. It will not hurt anything. It might take a little while and wear your arms out.