Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Mauser 98 master questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 12:38 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Mauser 98 master questions

YOU GOT IT. I got off work and went to install the rail and the holes are off. I kind of knew it but i had hope. I am a mill wright by trade so i i can get them right but i will have to take the action and rail into work and the only time i can do that is on the weekends or late night. The bosses dont like us working on fire arms stuff even on our own time.

I will get it on it may not be till next weekend tho but i could go in on New Years day that might be the call.

I was thinking mill out new holes to match the pattern on the rifle I do not want to drill more holes in the receiver so unless someone suggests another idea. My buddy said mill it out and fill it with acra glass. The 98 is converted to 220 swift. so recoil is not a big deal but i want to do it right and make it as accurate as i can.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:17 AM
SPONSOR

What you need is known as a "gunmakers base/rail". It won't have any holes drilled so you can match the existing holes on your action. If you use the base you have and drill more holes you'll just be another guy making more 'junk'. Too many surplus actions have been milled and drilled on by amatures creating what's known as "swiss cheese". I like Mausers and Springfields. They're the actions I 'cut my teeth on', years ago, when I first stated and was learning to "hand build" sporting rifles. They make fine sporters, for being 'antiques', made of/with questionable metallurgy and slow lock times. They require alot more work than a commercial action (like the drilling and tapping & welding/forging the bolt handle). I won't even consider either action if it's already been drilled and tapped or the bolt handle altered because they've probably been 'worked on' by a 'hobbiest' and once the holes are drilled they're there, permenently! For the record, Springfields that haven't been altered are too valuable to 'sporterized',,,,,,,, Mauser '98s, that are unaltered and not a rusty piece of junk, aren't far from being in the same realm as the Springfields. Sorry if my honest opinion offed.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:09 AM
Bronze Member

SO my fix was to take the one piece base which was .1981 to short between the mounting holes for the mauser. Here is my thought and what i did. I cut the mount in half to start with. I fitted the rings and scope to the two seperate pieces. I measured them and i took it all back apart and put the two pieces on the mill and milled them off to short mounts (think two piece base). The mounting holes for eac section were right on the holes that were already there. I got it ready to go. Then i took it all back apart and piloshed the pieces i cut and sent them off to be re anodized in a matte black. I should have the bases back the first of next week. Then i will be putting the whole thing together with my new to me Vortex Crossfire II. I got the illuminated dot version on the scope I am putting this together to shoot coyotes with.

Oh BTW the gun has set triggers on it. Are set triggers factory to a model 98? I dont know. Who ever did the conversion on the rifle spent some $$$$ on it. The Walnut stock was done gorgeous.

I agree with u about "hacks" working on guns where they have no idea what to do but good intentions. Whoever originally modified the Mauser did a excellent job. I