Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Mauser 98 master questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 10:34 PM
Bronze Member

Mauser 98 master questions

I have a 1916 mfg date model 98. Sometime in the past life of the rifle it was converted to a 220 Swift with a sporter weight barrel. When i got the rifle it was passed down to me but it did not have a scope. I cant find any manufactures name on the barrel. It has a set trigger. Anyhow my problem is the scope i am trying to put on will not fit the rings. NO they are one in rings and one inch scope but the scope bell and the magnification adjustment ring do not let the barrel of the scope into the rings. The bases are to close together. The bases are Weaver and the rings are weaver. The length on the barrel of the scope is 5.8 inches I need 6.2 for the scope to fit. I looked at other rings and bases that are the same as the ones i have online at nachez and midway. How do i get the base to set back atleast one in. I know i could redrill the bases but do not want to put more holes in the receiver. I thought of ordering a longer base and redrilling the holes. I know they need to be right on. Just so u know i am a mill wright by trade and can run all machine shop equipment. I have access to both a manual and CNC mill, so i know i can get them right on.

I want to use this as my primary coyote gun the weatherby is costing me a fortune to shoot the dogs with.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:10 AM
SPONSOR

Re: Mauser 98 master questions

You can buy "extended rings" for Leupold and Redfield style bases. I don't think you can for Weaver style bases, but, I might be wrong, as I don't even look at Weavers when considering scope mounts.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:55 PM
Bronze Member

I usually dont run weaver style mounts either i just had them on the rifle and decided to use them to see how the rifle shoots before i sink any major cash into it. I think whomever built the rifle originally built it with decent components but i need to put some down range to make sure. I found on Brownells a full length one piece mount and ordered it so i am going to see if i can use it. HOPEFULLY the rifle shoots well if it does look out coyotes. The weatherby and the RRA will get retired or atleast get a break. I will let u know how it turns out...
Old 12-24-2012, 01:32 PM

The one piece base should do very nicely if it has multiple slots. If you decide you want to beef up the rings later Weaver grand slams Leupold PRW or QRW will work fine and give you a very strong mounting.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:04 PM
Platinum Member

Toss the bases you have and install a Picatinny rail of "0 degrees MOA" on the reciever. I suggest an EGW brand. Then you can use rings for a 1" scope of any brand that works on a rail. If needed you might buy an extended rail for clearance.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:29 AM
Bronze Member

i agree with the rail the only problem is the front and rear are different heights. I ordered a one piece rail from Brownells and just received it today it was made for the Mauser 98 so when i get a minute i will put it on and see.

Thanks for all the help
Old 12-30-2012, 07:59 AM
SPONSOR

Now,,, if only the holes will line up.