Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Mauser 98 feeding problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 10:59 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Mauser 98 feeding problem

As JE said, the sharp edged belts do try to push each other around, (back and forth). Recoil tries to shift the rounds to the front of the mag well, making them less secure under the rails. When you extract and eject forcefully, it may be that the belt on the fired round catches the fresh round underneath and pulls it back to the back wall of the mag well before it can pop up. Just a possibility.

The .260 is a fine cartridge. The Mauser action is designed for a longer round, but years ago, I had a Mauser actioned .308 match gun that fed flawlessly. The .260 should work as well. Good project.

Good shooting, Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 01-11-2010, 11:13 PM
Platinum Member

Sorry, double entered, Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 01-12-2010, 12:59 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the info. I played with the action loading and pressing and releaseing the cartridge that is under left hand rail. I note if you press it down and quickly release it will pop up out of the rail. I wonder if the problem can be the rail is not wide enough? When I put two cartridges in and try to have it pop out it does not. What would the follower have to do with that. Are you saying in your earlier posting to file it flatter or what.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:02 PM
Platinum Member

I have a 45-70 that does exactly what your experiencing, very frustrating. Don't over look the spring and follower, they have to come up just right to hold the case in tention against the lip if these relationships get out of wack they spit cases on you toes. I have heard and read there are some smiths that specialize in fixing feeding issues with the Mauser 98.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 01-12-2010, 08:03 PM
Bronze Member

Alas Alas I found out the problem. After looking over eyerthing several times I finally discoved someone who had the action before me ground down the left rail and went to far. I took the rifle to a gunsmith to day and he verified my observation. The solution is to use a carbide mill and mill the underside of the rail side to give it a larger surface again so cartridge will stay in position. Again thanks to all who gave me suggestions and solutions to problem.