Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Mating 300 RUM Barrel to a 300 WM Action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2008, 12:03 PM
Silver Member

What rife? If a Rem 700, then yes you can. All Rem 700 long actions are the same length. You'll need a new magazine box, though.
For a Win M70 I don't think so. The Win action is too short.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
I'd say it's way too much trouble, thus expense, for what you end up with.
I might be wrong but I don't see it as being much more trouble than a rebarrel. The bolt face would need work and might have to work the rails?

Quote:
I shoot a 300 Rum barrel on a 338 Win Mag (I believe all the Rem 700 Long actions are the same length for the Magnums).
No offense, but I don't like Rem actions, mostly because of their style safety. Otherwise, I would just use a 700 RUM action and this wouldn't even be a question.

Quote:
However it is a single shot configuration. Plate glued in and an ADL type stock.
I definitely want the use of my magazine. This will be an all range rifle, short and long and will be using it on bear also.

Quote:
If I had a 300 Win Mag I'd stick with it rather than consider using a reduced case capacity.
There won't be any reduced case capacity in this configuration other than a deeper seated bullet which will not affect capacity for powder as in requiring a compressed load.

Quote:
What would be super, I think, would be to chamber for a 300 Win Mag necked up to 338 which may be a more straight forward way of gettin' 'er done.
Hmmm.... Kinda like the EDGE, but only with a 300 WM case instead of a 300 RUM case? If I went with a 338, I would probably do this in the 338 WM action, with the 338 RUM chamber, which I am considering.

Thanks

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 06-11-2008, 06:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustystud View Post
You can also buy multiple length boxes of most bolt rifles.
That may be an option

Quote:
Remember you can not fit an elephant in a match box.

Rustystud
I don't think it's an issue in this case.

Thanks

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 06-11-2008, 06:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider View Post
What rife? If a Rem 700, then yes you can. All Rem 700 long actions are the same length. You'll need a new magazine box, though.
For a Win M70 I don't think so. The Win action is too short.
I don't want a Rem action.

~ John Quincy Adams