Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Mating 300 RUM Barrel to a 300 WM Action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2008, 10:41 AM
Platinum Member

Mating 300 RUM Barrel to a 300 WM Action

If someone were to have a barrel chambered to the 300 RUM case and mate it with a 300 WM action and reciever, how feasable would it be to shorten the throat so that the cartridges could be seated to 300 WM length and still use the magazine?

Any other issues here besides cartridge length?

Will a shorter throat affect accuacy or burn out faster?

Good idea or bad idea?

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 06-10-2008, 02:52 PM
Silver Member

I don't see the point. You're wanting a Magnum length cartridge to fit in a standard length magazine. You'll have to cut off .200 inch from the RUM case and reform the neck and shoulder to fit it in the magazine and that's just the cartridge. You'll also have to shorten the chamber and re contour the magazine. Probably more, but these are all I can think of right off hand.
More trouble than it's worth. IMHO

Last edited by Stormrider; 06-10-2008 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider View Post
I don't see the point. You're wanting a Magnum length cartridge to fit in a standard length magazine. You'll have to cut off .200 inch from the RUM case and reform the neck and shoulder to fit it in the magazine and that's just the cartridge. You'll also have to shorten the chamber and re contour the magazine. Probably more, but these are all I can think of right off hand.
More trouble than it's worth. IMHO
I don't want to change the basic shape of the case, just shorten the throat to accomadte a deeper seated bullet. That is it in a nutshell.

My question is, is it feasable? Can a blank barrel be reamed to a 300 RUM with a shortened throat, approx .25 shorter.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 06-10-2008, 06:57 PM
Silver Member

I'm not sure I understand what you want to do, now.
Do you want to shoot the 300 RUM cartridge in a 300 WM action?
Or do you want to shoot the 300 WM cartridge in a rechambered 300 RUM bbl?
As far as throating goes, you can throat any way you want.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider View Post
I'm not sure I understand what you want to do, now.
Do you want to shoot the 300 RUM cartridge in a 300 WM action?
Or do you want to shoot the 300 WM cartridge in a rechambered 300 RUM bbl?
As far as throating goes, you can throat any way you want.
I want to shoot the 300 RUM cartridge (seated to the 300 WM OAL) in a 300WM action. There is a forum member here who is doing that, but his barrel is chambered to the stnd 300 RUM, including throat. I just want to shorten the throat if possible, which I figure it is, but I'm not a smith.

~ John Quincy Adams
Old 06-11-2008, 12:21 AM
Platinum Member

I'd say it's way too much trouble, thus expense, for what you end up with.

I shoot a 300 Rum barrel on a 338 Win Mag (I believe all the Rem 700 Long actions are the same length for the Magnums).

However it is a single shot configuration. Plate glued in and an ADL type stock.

The conditions under which a second shot is taken usually aren't the best.

If I had a 300 Win Mag I'd stick with it rather than consider using a reduced case capacity. What would be super, I think, would be to chamber for a 300 Win Mag necked up to 338 which may be a more straight forward way of gettin' 'er done.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:58 AM
Silver Member

Look at prints of each cartridge..

You can have a chamber reamer made with any throat (short) you want and use a throating reamer to open it up to the desired length. Many gunsmiths buy their reamers with a minimal throat and use throating reamers regularly to cut the throat to the desired length.

You can also buy multiple length boxes of most bolt rifles.

Remember you can not fit an elephant in a match box.

Rustystud