Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

mark v action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 11:24 AM
Bronze Member

Re: mark v action

so, if a WBY MKV was built with a 9 lug action...and chambered in 270 win, why was this done??
Old 10-03-2012, 01:16 PM
Platinum Member

The issue with Bergers feeding in the Weatherby has to do with how the barrel is counterbored. If you just cut it square like a Remington the bullet nose will catch on it and it will be a jam-o-matic. Study a factory take off barrel and you will see the bevel at the bottom of the relief right around the chamber. We use about a 15 degree angle in there to get the really pointy bullets to feed. The bolt stop groove will still need extended even in a single shot if you want to extract live rounds. The free bore can be special ordered built into the reamer or we can get a minimal lead and use a throater for a custom fit.

No reason to not be a repeater if you want one. The factory bottom metal works good with the big cases. I would also strongly consider a 338 Lapua over a 338-378 Wby. The brass costs the same but lasts a lot longer and only gives up very little in power to the 338-378.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:01 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hired Gun View Post
The issue with Bergers feeding in the Weatherby has to do with how the barrel is counterbored. If you just cut it square like a Remington the bullet nose will catch on it and it will be a jam-o-matic. Study a factory take off barrel and you will see the bevel at the bottom of the relief right around the chamber. We use about a 15 degree angle in there to get the really pointy bullets to feed. The bolt stop groove will still need extended even in a single shot if you want to extract live rounds. The free bore can be special ordered built into the reamer or we can get a minimal lead and use a throater for a custom fit.

No reason to not be a repeater if you want one. The factory bottom metal works good with the big cases. I would also strongly consider a 338 Lapua over a 338-378 Wby. The brass costs the same but lasts a lot longer and only gives up very little in power to the 338-378.
so how much would these bolt modifications cost? would it be worth it to go ahead and try to find the larger bolt action? i have seen a couple guns with the 540 bolt for less then $700. 540 bolt stop modification required check. so with the changes to the reaming of the barrel the freebore can be fixed then to where even with bergers it will be at the lands and be under 3.800 coal? seems i was reading on another forum where guys were out at 4.000 in factory barrels to get them there? does this sound right? i wouldnt be opposed to it being a repeater as long as the coal/mag/lands all lined up as needed.

i know the lapua would be the smarter choice but its more of a want thing. i want a weatherby/weatherby rifle.
Savage LRH 6.5x284
Old 10-03-2012, 05:27 PM
Silver Member

as i was saying i'm new to this action and google image search dosnt turn up a 6 lug pic so is this a 6 or 9? being a 300 wby i'm assuming it is the correct 9 lug action?
Savage LRH 6.5x284
Old 10-03-2012, 07:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cummin_un_glued View Post

as i was saying i'm new to this action and google image search dosnt turn up a 6 lug pic so is this a 6 or 9? being a 300 wby i'm assuming it is the correct 9 lug action?
9 lug.

The 6 lug is usually used only in non-Weatherby calibers like 30-06, 270, etc.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:06 PM
Platinum Member

The 300Wby is the long one and doesn't need the bolt slot cut longer. Just open the bolt face and change extractor. Keep looking. The synthetics go for $600 from time to time on gunbroker.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.