Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Making a wood stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 02:19 AM
Bronze Member

Making a wood stock

Guys, long story short, I have access to lots of free wood, and am interested in making stocks. Have some woodworking experience and tools, so with the right instructions I think I could do it.

Problem is my google bone must've come out of the socket, am having bad luck finding any good instructional material.

If you know of some books or websites that would work for a first time builder, please post.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:00 AM
Silver Member

Re: Making a wood stock

I have seen an how-to thread over on Rimfirecentral.com in their 10/22 stock thread I think its a sticky so should still be there. It was very detailed if I remember. Hope this helps
Old 04-11-2011, 08:05 PM
SPONSOR

Re: Making a wood stock

I did a google search myself, not much out there, the only one that was of the same basic ideas as the way I learned was a write up by Len Brooks (Stockmaker show and tell - Topic). Most all of the others I looked at went to way too much trouble making templates and the such. Seems that would only be useful if you were only dealing with one make of rifle and done in the same style every time. Of those other than the one Mr. Brooks did, everyone cut out the basic shape and then started inletting. What if you happen to wander off the center line a bit. If you cut out the basic shape you're stuck with it, if you do the inletting first and happen to be off the center line, a new center line can be established and all measurements can be made from the new center line. If you have a vertical mill, and are a good hand at using it, you can do alot of pre-inletting there. But , the mill is optional. A good vertical band saw, a drill press (and proper bits), a router, good carving tools (chisels & gouges, not the kind usually found in a carpenters tool box), some scrapers, double cut files (half round and 'rat tail'), and a #49 pattern makers file/rasp are what is needed. A 12" disc sander and a die grinder & double cut burrs come in handy, too. I carry my blank to the local mill works and they square the top and off cheek piece side to each other, gotta' have true surfaces to lay out and measure from. (the band saw, router, disc sander, die grinder & drill press are opional, too. it can all be done with just hand tools). Mr. Brooks has a pretty good thread of what to do in what order. There are some books out there, if you can find them. They aren't cheap.. "Stockmaking" by Alvin Linden,,,,,,, "Professional Stockmaking" by Dave Wesbrook,,,,,,,, Jerry Fisher has some full sized drawings published, I think I saw them on Mid Ways' web site.

Last edited by shortgrass; 04-11-2011 at 08:59 PM. Reason: books & drawings added