Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

making a stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 10:58 AM
Silver Member

Re: making a stock

so I read the thread thanks for posting gave me an idea of how to go about it. One question that I have is do you pick one side and stagger the barrel over to that side so it has minimal carving and work the other side over to that or do you center the action and barrel and work each side equally?
Old 03-20-2013, 12:21 PM
SPONSOR

You need to off-set from the centerline to have enough wood for the cheek piece.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:33 PM
SPONSOR

While your looking for a blank and rounding up tools you'll need a template for the butt and grip. A commercial metal grip cap from Brownells or MidWay will work for the grip, but, you'll need to make one for the butt. I use 1/8" thick flat steel. A tracing of a butt end of a stock you like will do. Transfer it to the steel and cut and file it out. It's nice if your screw holes in the template are placed properly for the pad you'll use.