Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

making my own pillars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2009, 11:57 PM
Platinum Member

Re: making my own pillars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss View Post
The last time I bought some for my Smith I believe it was 20 feet. Had it delivered to him because he had run out and needed some to build my rifle that was in process.

G10 is very stable in with respect to the change in temperature and when accuracy is important the expansion rate of the pillar is a consideration. I know it is a fine point and gets its application originally from glued in bench rest actions. Has to do with the heating and the heating of the action and its effect on the pillars during this process and the commesurate expansion against the action. Most Smiths do not understand the relationship however, my sporters are built to the same standards as my competition rifles --- they are just lighter for the most part, have the port on the right side and are repeaters LOL..
What is the compressive strength of this material?

I am interested also.

J E CUSTOM
Old 07-06-2009, 11:51 AM
Platinum Member

dk, I couldn't make the link work. I still would like to check it out. Is it a non-metal or a low thermal coefficient metal alloy?

Thanks, Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 07-06-2009, 12:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by specweldtom View Post
dk, I couldn't make the link work. I still would like to check it out. Is it a non-metal or a low thermal coefficient metal alloy?

Thanks, Tom

This is from the link.

"Nema Grade G10 FR4 tubing is an electrical-grade epoxy resin system combined with a glass fabric substrate, cast to a specific size and either formed or ground down to the desired specifications. G10 FR4 tubes also offer excellent chemical resistance and electrical properties under dry and humid conditions. G10 FR Tubing also features high flexural, impact, superior mechanical strength and bond strength at temperatures up to 130C. Applications include antenna masts, heat exchangers, coils and inducters. G10 fiberglass tubing is ideal for spcaers and stand offs. G 10 FR 4 tube also works well for bushings. G10 FR 4 Tubes are available in standard and custom sizes up to 6 " in diameter."

It looks to be an off white resin tube, available in a number of OD/ID configurations.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 07-06-2009, 01:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
What is the compressive strength of this material?

I am interested also.

J E CUSTOM

Here is a link, it looks like G10 has about 65,000psi compressive strength and is very temperature stable.

Boedeker Plastics : NEMA G-3 G-5 G-7 G-9 G-10 G-11 Industrial Laminate Glass Phenolic Datasheet

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 07-06-2009, 05:57 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks A.J.. It sounds like an excellent material for pillars. Appreciate the info. I'll check out the link.

Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 07-06-2009, 08:41 PM
Platinum Member

Gentlemen----I have always found that when Speedy has vetted a process or product it is always suitable for the intended purpose furthermore it is the most desirable. Notice I did not say cheaper as I have found out!! LOL!!!!

If you would like I will request him to email me a few words about this and post it here.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:25 PM
Bronze Member

Plastic Material Specs, G10 & Phenolic - JMJ Profile Inc.
Everything you could want to know.

dk