Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Magnum action vs. Standard Long Action Differences

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2010, 09:52 PM
Silver Member

Magnum action vs. Standard Long Action Differences

Other than the bolt face size, are there any differences between a Rem 700 magnum action and the standard long action? I have heard that an action for a RUM may have wider feed rails but is that the exception? For most actions, are the feed rails the same size for mag and non mag actions?
Thank you
Old 11-22-2010, 11:29 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Magnum action vs. Standard Long Action Differences

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurj View Post
Other than the bolt face size, are there any differences between a Rem 700 magnum action and the standard long action? I have heard that an action for a RUM may have wider feed rails but is that the exception? For most actions, are the feed rails the same size for mag and non mag actions?
Thank you
The actions are the same Except for the bolt face and the extractor.

The feed rails are different from a standard bolt face action to a magnum action in order to
function properly.

If you go from a standard bolt face action to a magnum bolt face action the rails are easy
to open up but if you go the other way it is best to go to a center feed mag box and not
fight the rails.

J E CUSTOM
Old 11-23-2010, 07:53 AM
Silver Member

JE,
Thank you that is exactly what I was wondering. Is a center feed system just a mag box that pretty much replaces the standard mag box? So could this be worked into an ADL configuration?

Thank you for your help,
Al

Last edited by arthurj; 11-23-2010 at 08:06 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurj View Post
JE,
Thank you that is exactly what I was wondering. Is a center feed system just a mag box that pretty much replaces the standard mag box? So could this be worked into an ADL configuration?

Thank you for your help,
Al
Yes it can be converted with a flat top follower and a different mag box.

The center feed box is closed in at the top just enough to hold the round and does not use
the rails and it can be adjusted to improve feeding simply by bending the ears in or out.

If you know someone that has a 378,416 or 460 Weatherby Mark 5 you can look at the center
feed on them and see how it works.

I use this mag box on all of the Lapua cartriges and it works flawlessly.

J E CUSTOM