Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Mag box problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 03:21 PM

Mag box problem

Last winter I finished building a custom 700 that originated as a .243 BDL model and during the build I chambered the new barrel for the 6.5-.284 Norma; everything came together fantastically and for the first few months of shooting I had replaced the factory shell follower with an aftermarket one for single shot lolading at the range and all was fine. However, when deer season came up and I tried to load the secondary rounds into the magazine box I found my new round's OAL is too long to fit. So to make this as short as possible I know I have a couple obvious options, and I have a few fabrications in mind as well if it comes to that, I'm just wondering if anyone has come across this and what direction they went.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:23 PM
SPONSOR

Re: Mag box problem

A Wyatts extended magazine box will help,,,, that and a slim taper file for the rails to smooth out feeding. The 6.5mm X .284 works best in a LA.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:44 PM

Re: Mag box problem

Thanks, I look into that...Yea, I was so excited to build my first rifle and knew we already had the chamber reamer for the 6.5mmx.284 so I went with that. Looking back I think I would have built a .243AI or possibly a .22-.243 middlestead if I'd do it again, and waited to build the 6.5 on a rifle solely made for the bench.