Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

made my own bore guide. want feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2012, 05:44 PM

made my own bore guide. want feedback

I could not find exactly what I was looking for regarding a cleaning rod bore guide for my yet to be fired TC Venture 7mm Rem Mag. I was going to copy the ones made by Sinclair/Possum Hollow which are made of Delrin. When I punched the "buy" button for the Delrin stock and 12" drill bit from an online supplier, my dang wireless went down! I went out to my home workshop, chucked up some nylon stock and started turning. I had some SS tubing in the right diameter and came up with the following. The only thing I wondered was whether I should trim the case neck down so the brush/patches passed over the edge where the case ends or leave it like it is. My decision was to leave it. I made it so that it locks into the gun via the bolt release catch so I don't have to hold it in. Please let me know if you have any opinion on this design whether good/bad. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
made my own bore guide. want feedback-imag0192.jpg  

Last edited by dulzura; 04-08-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:34 PM
Silver Member

Re: made my own bore guide. want feedback

Genius! I have one of the cheap black and yellow ones. Gets the job done but a pain in the rear to use. Ill have to make one of these. I like the idea of using a fired case as the actual Guide.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:42 PM
Gold Member

Nice work. Brass may cause you to get a little color from the copper removing chemicals but otherwise looks like it will work conceptually from my vantage point.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:17 PM

Here's a view of the guide installed.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
made my own bore guide. want feedback-imag0194.jpg  
Old 04-09-2012, 10:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzura View Post
I could not find exactly what I was looking for regarding a cleaning rod bore guide for my yet to be fired TC Venture 7mm Rem Mag. I was going to copy the ones made by Sinclair/Possum Hollow which are made of Delrin. When I punched the "buy" button for the Delrin stock and 12" drill bit from an online supplier, my dang wireless went down! I went out to my home workshop, chucked up some nylon stock and started turning. I had some SS tubing in the right diameter and came up with the following. The only thing I wondered was whether I should trim the case neck down so the brush/patches passed over the edge where the case ends or leave it like it is. My decision was to leave it. I made it so that it locks into the gun via the bolt release catch so I don't have to hold it in. Please let me know if you have any opinion on this design whether good/bad. Thanks.
been doing that for over 15 years. Not perfect, but cheap.
gary