Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

M98 mauser sleeved action project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 10:58 PM
Platinum Member

Re: M98 mauser sleeved action project

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
Funny you should mention a 40x in 30x338 I had one and it was a single shot (Solid floor) and to make competitive for 1000 yard matches I had to bed the first 1" of the barrel to help support the 27+ inch barrel. I could mash down on the barrel and make it touch the stock with little effort I experimented with up to 3'' of bedding and found on that rifle 1'' on the barrel kept the groups very tight and pressing down on the barrel to make it touch was more diffacult.
Such things have happened.

I've shot a few 40X .30-.338's, two I bedded receiver only, no pad under chamber and they shot .3092" diameter (7.85mm) Lapua D46 185's well under 1 MOA at 1000 with the factory barrel which was about as good as any belted mag shoots. Neither shot Sierra's worth a darn. The other was a tub gun; wash tub groups with all sorts of bedding attempts. Finally found the Douglas barrel to have a couple of tight spots as well as non linear rifling twist; the button straightened out a couple of times when it was rifled.

The factory bedding on one did let the barrel touch the stock fore end tip with down pressure on it. I believe the cause was too soft of wood in the stock in the receiver area. After expoxy bedding the receiver, no more problem as I put an extra thick Devcon pillar around the front screw.

I've shot a number of very accurate rifles testing them but they only performed well after hogging out all the bedding under the chamber area in the barrel. They would not hold elevation for 25 to 30 shots in a prone long range match.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:43 PM
Bronze Member

Not to change the suject but i know metal better than guns and one thing i know is that if you put aluminum directly on metal it causes a corosion that is similar to rust and i have seen it get bad enough to brake 5/8'' bolts so if you are wanting to sleeve your action i would recomend using a simular metal.
by the way nice looking work !
Old 06-27-2013, 01:04 AM
Silver Member

I have won some military contracts for electronics that had "no dissimilar metals" requirements. We had to go through salt fog, and we had lots of dissimilar metals, but we sealed them.

I have had dissimilar metals problems in plumbing.

But in rifles, I have made pillars from brass [higher than the steel receiver in the Galvanic series] and pillars from Aluminium [lower than the steel receiver in the Galvanic series], and I have never had a problem.

But the rifles I have been building just see sage brush and rain.

My brother bought a working Rem 11 shotgun for $50 that had been used for decades to hunt ducks on the salt water of Hood's canal. When we took it apart, there was lots of rust.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:50 AM
Gold Member

JECustom, when you refer to Hunter benchrest, are you referring to score shooting? I've been shooting IBS Hunter class benchrest for a long time and, sleeves are not allowed on Hunter class rifles. The weight limit is 10 Lbs. The forearm cannot exceed 2.25" in width and, the action must be a repeater capable of feeding 2 rounds, in succession, from the magazine. Scopes are limited to 6X.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:27 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinny pedal View Post
Not to change the suject but i know metal better than guns and one thing i know is that if you put aluminum directly on metal it causes a corosion that is similar to rust and i have seen it get bad enough to brake 5/8'' bolts so if you are wanting to sleeve your action i would recomend using a simular metal.
by the way nice looking work !
Thanks for the heads up, I called ALCOA Aluminum then "the aluminum counsel". After a discussion about this I found a solution.

Thanks again.

NRA Life member
Varmint Hunter Association member
American Gunsmith Association
Old 06-29-2013, 01:32 PM
Silver Member

This is what I came up with for a solution on a push type bolt release. Along with keeping the ejector feature.

Second picture shows the relief cut to allow install/removal of the ejector spring, third picture shows proper position for finished bolt stop, last picture is a quick opening of both pivot holes for pinning to sleeve.

Been fun so far now to mark the sleeve for the bolt stop cut and pivot pin hole.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
M98 mauser sleeved action project-100_3101.jpg   M98 mauser sleeved action project-100_3102.jpg  

M98 mauser sleeved action project-100_3103.jpg   M98 mauser sleeved action project-100_3104.jpg  

NRA Life member
Varmint Hunter Association member
American Gunsmith Association
Old 07-03-2013, 08:23 AM
Platinum Member

Yobuck, what size circle is the smallest you think a Win. 70 box magazine action based rifle would shoot 40 shots in a row at 600 yards from a .308 Win. or 30 in a row at 1000 from a 30 caliber belted magnum; all shots fired 20 to 30 seconds apart?

I've no idea why you're not responding to this query, so I'll answer it from what I've seen and done. Then you can think, say, do or whatever about it.

Win. 70 in .308 Win., 40 shots at 600 yards, all inside 2 inches; 1/3 MOA.

Win. 70 in .30-.338 Win. Mag., 30 shots at 1000 yards, all inside 5 inches, 1/2 MOA.

And all with full length sized or brand spanking new unfired cases, too.

That's as good as or better than the best medium or long range benchrest rifle with a long, thick, heavy solid bottom, single-shot action such as the ones touted to be so much better than an open bottom (box magazine) action.