Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

M98 mauser sleeved action project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 12:25 PM
Silver Member

M98 mauser sleeved action project

Been working with this for awhile and things are finally getting close to complete. M98 Argentino Large Ring action sleeved with aluminum tubing, I turned the inside radius to allow for a snug fit however I had to cut off the ears on the action for the bolt stop/ejector housing. I have been thinking of different ways to make a new or rework the original bolt stop/ejector, any thoughts out there? This will be a single shot with a bench rest follower.

Thanks for looking
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
M98 mauser sleeved action project-mauser-sleeve-2.jpg   M98 mauser sleeved action project-100_3098.jpg  

M98 mauser sleeved action project-100_3099.jpg  

NRA Life member
Varmint Hunter Association member
American Gunsmith Association
Old 06-19-2013, 06:40 PM
Gold Member

Re: M98 mauser sleeved action project

So would you fill in the blanks for us kids who are trying to understand why you are doing this ?

I know of cases where the "stock" is made from aluminum, including a free floated front tube, but the material is merely a place to bed the action in and to provide a fore end and stock to interface with the shooters shoulder and cheek. In that role it does not provide any structural support for the action itself, which has to contain all the stress from firing and supporting the cantilevered barrel.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:54 AM
Silver Member

Back in the 60's( I think) sleeving remington actions for bench rest shooting was common, a few come up for sale now and then and they look unique. I decided to sleeve a M98 for the purpose of uniqueness and it would be a good match for the curly maple target stock at the duplicators right now. It has been fun machining the aluminum for proper fit and like any project it's value is held by the builder and not for market place resale. As for any attempt to increase usable pressure that the action will handle that is not even a consideration.

NRA Life member
Varmint Hunter Association member
American Gunsmith Association
Old 06-20-2013, 10:29 AM
Silver Member

I thought the purpose of sleeving a Rem 700 was to get a flat bottom to take the torque from the riflings.
The Mauser already has a flat bottom.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...ns/4_BHRcWvPBQ
Quote:
Bart Bobbitt 6-1-1994
Remington 700....
Second, something needs to be done to keep the receiver from twisting
in the stock. As the .300 Wby. Mag. causes quite a bit of torque on
the barreled action while the bullet accelerates down the bore, the
factory recoil lug at the front does not provide enough resistance to
that torque to keep it in the same place from shot to shot. It will shoot
loose in about 100 rounds to where accuracy is degraded. The best
way to prevent the receiver from twisting loose is to either epoxy
bed the reciever and then glue the receiver into the bedding (you have
to modify the stock so the trigger can be removed out the bottom when
glueing in the receiver), or epoxy a square-bottomed aluminum sleeve on
the receiver and epoxy bed that sleeve into the stock. Such is life with
heavy-recoiling rifles with round receivers.

Bart posts here
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...archid=2022860

May 1997 issue of Precision Shooting had an ad for Krieger Barrels, Inc. that showed an actual-size
copy of a 20-shot group shot at 800 yards by "Bert Bobbit [sic] with his Krieger Barrelled PALMA rifle." Now this group has a .942" mean radius, with an extreme spread of 3.325".

They miss spelled his name.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:00 PM
Gold Member

i personaly think barts opinion back in 94 was just that an opinion.
a 300 weatherby reacting like that is ridicioulas.
im old enough to well remember sleeved actions. no doubt it did offer some stiffness to an open bottom action. but it didnt offer any improvment to what
the bolt could handle by way of pressure. most of these were used by benchrest shooters looking for more accuracy. barrel sleeves for the same reason. keeping the front scope mount of the unertle scope off the barrel was
thought to improve accuracy.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
i personaly think barts opinion back in 94 was just that an opinion.
a 300 weatherby reacting like that is ridicioulas.
Of course it was my opinion. But it's based on facts from my own experience with round recivers as well as those from other top ranked competitive shooters.

When folks started using Rem. 7XX actions for belted magnums in long range matches back in the middle of the last century and conventional epoxy bedding was first used, they held zeros for a hundred or two shots, then worked loose from barrel torque. Rebedding was the solution. I learned this with my first epoxy bedding job on a Rem. 700 action thinking it was the greatest thing for accuracy on earth. Then I learned that the reason Win. 70 actions were preferred for competition with cartridges .308 Win. and bigger shooting bullets weighing more than 160 grains.

The US military rifle teams also had the same problems with their 30 caliber magnums used in long range matches. Their attempt at fixing it was to make 2-inch long recoil lugs for their Remmy actions. That didn't work either. They finally put a flat bottom/side sleeve on them and that fixed the issue. No problems ever existed with their Win. 70 receivers.

Someone finally decided that what the benchresters did with 22 and 24 caliber rounds in Remmy actions sleeving them with flat bottom/side aluminum sleeves. Finally, accuracy with a round receiver would remain constant for the life of the barrel.

Of course, if folks cannot see their 1/4 MOA at 100 yard accuracy at worst lessen by 50% (goes to 3/8 MOA) or 600 yard accuracy go from 1/2 to 3/4 MOA, shooting their stuff for a couple hundered shots, then they won't notice the epoxy bedding has gone to pot. To them, the cause, effect and fix I mention is considered rediculous. I've been there, done that but learned from others and was able to tell the difference.

Action stiffness, as well as barrel stiffness, has never been critical for accuracy. As long as the barreled action behaves the same way for each shot, best accuracy is at hand. It's all about repeatability of movement of all the parts, not minimizing how much they move.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:37 AM
Gold Member

One of those round action Remingtons in 300 Win. Mag., still holds the NRA Longrange Highpower any sights record.