Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

M700 Trigger Malfunction

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 03:22 PM
SPONSOR

Re: M700 Trigger Malfunction

All you have to do is disassemble a few and it becomes obvious that 'repeatability' in components isn't there. Without that repeatability, so called "tuning", is just tinkering and hoping it works. I haven't the time or inclination to tinker. I sure don't see hardly any builds by "top 'smiths" that wear a factory Remington trigger. Most wear a Jewell of Shilen, because of their repeatability.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:11 PM
Silver Member

I'm agreeing with you about them not being repeatable... they are junk. You cant Tell me that there are not high end gunsmiths out there building rifles that have a "tuned" factory triggers. If you want to just argue that's fine, but I think your just going to go around in circles. Trust me when I say that the guy that put my rifle together is highly known on this site and in long range competitions and is not one to tinker.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:49 PM
Gold Member

Never trust a Remington trigger??? Now you sound like the CBS Expose. There was never a problem with factory adjusted Remington triggers. There's millions Model 700 triggers out there that don't have a problem. The problem is with the guns that some dink that didn't know what he was doing messing with the triggers. That or some gun hater or sue-happy lawyer trying to get a quick pay day. The end result is that we've lost a really good production trigger and ended up with a monkey proof substitute.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:23 PM
Silver Member

OK pal, we are not getting anywhere with this. I tend not to get to combative about arguments like this one. I have my opinions and you have yours. You might have the most experience with them or the least, I don't care. I will keep my thoughts were they are. Maybe you can teach dan lilja's smith's or charlie at score high gunsmith how to build a gun so there are no more trigger issues since they are such morons.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:13 PM
Silver Member

Nimrod... I truly hope you never have one of those triggers malfunction in this way. It stirred things within my soul that I will never be able to ignore. This is one of the most frightening things I have encountered while handling a firearm. The trigger on my M700 is a piece of crap worthy of scorn. I will begin to replace every trigger on every M700 in my vault this will end up costing me nearly $800 because I do not trust them either. I won't sell the triggers as used parts, instead I will dispose of them with the trash.

I also think it says volumes that not a single gunsmith has responded to this thread. I was hoping for advise, but for guys in the profession I am thinking they just can't respond to this thread.

I have a installed a Timney Trigger on a M600 and a Vanguard, they are very nice. For this M700 I am going to give a Shilen trigger a try.

Snohomish Co. Washington
NRA Life Member
Old 10-23-2013, 09:58 AM
Silver Member

I hear you don on getting spooked about them. I was more nervous with this trigger then on some patrols I conducted in Iraq! The reason why no gunsmiths are saying anything because they all have tried to lighten Remington triggers. Not to say there are gunsmiths that know a ton more then another and there are people who should not be tuning triggers. But it looks like no matter who touches them they WILL malfunction at some point.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:38 PM
Bronze Member

Doesn't Remington say any mod. done to their weapon voids warranty, same as buying a new vehicle, can't tear into the engine, then take it back and say, it doesn't run like it should.