Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

M700 Trigger Malfunction

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2013, 06:33 PM
Silver Member

M700 Trigger Malfunction

Monday this week I had a accidental discharge with a M700. After chambering a round, the safety would not go on. So I opened the bolt, set the safety to Safe and then closed the bolt. After which I cycled the Safety from Safe to Fire and that is when the rifle discharged. Scaring the crap out of me, my partner, and the buck standing in front of us.
My hunting with that rifle ended right there. I refused to chamber another round.
The failure was very much like what was described in that infamous 60 Minutes Feature story about the dangers of Remington Triggers and unqualified gunsmiths doing trigger jobs on them - which is exactly what applied in my incident.
To say I am extremely upset with my gunsmith - goes without saying. Am I going to openly call him out here in public? No!
The scenario for this incident is as follows, the rifle was stored in my truck overnight, so it was very close to the outside ambient temperature of 35 deg F. I noticed that the trigger while it was cold was very sluggish almost as if is was contaminated with lubricant. As the temperature increased with the morning sun the trigger seemed to become "functional" again.
I tested the trigger pull and found the trigger pull to be very erratic, sometimes tripping at 3.0 lbs other times 1.5 lbs and once at 0.75 lbs. It was all over the place.
What in the world is going on with this trigger?
I am left handed and I am looking for a new trigger, looking at Timney or Shilen. This is a hunting rifle and I am not comfortable going below 3.0 lbs in pull weight.

Snohomish Co. Washington
NRA Life Member
Old 10-20-2013, 02:42 PM
Silver Member

Re: M700 Trigger Malfunction

I have seen a Remington trigger FUBARed by a gunsmith (I use this term gunsmith very loosely in this case). I offered to adjust the trigger for him but he said the county required him to take it to a gunsmith only to do it. It was dangerous after this smith messed with it and he had to take it to another smith who replaced the trigger and adjusted it correctly. I have adjusted a half dozen or so Rem triggers and two of them, one a model 7 and the other a mod. 600, had to be readjusted later. These two triggers were on my own rifles and they sat for a month or so after adjustment and when they were dry fired later were found to be unstable and had to be set to a heavier trigger pull. I don't know what caused the two trigger to change while in storage but they did. I feel safer putting a Timney on them. The best after-market trigger I have ever installed was a Bold but they only make triggers for Mauser rifles.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:14 AM
Silver Member

The exact same thing happened to me the other day! The smith that built the rifle and did the trigger job is highly known. I would think he knows how to work over a Remington trigger? From this day forward I will never have a stock Remington trigger worked over, I will always buy a Jewell or timney.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:56 AM
SPONSOR

Just by the way they're manufactured (on a production basis) factory triggers are just too inconsistant to tune and still be safe.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:32 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortgrass View Post
Just by the way they're manufactured (on a production basis) factory triggers are just too inconsistant to tune and still be safe.
If this is so then why do top producing gun smiths in the country still do this? There are probably better then 2/3 people on this site that have a worked over Remington trigger, ones who own them of course. You never hear this about old re worked savage triggers. We all know to use safe gun handling and should practice it, but come on this is a stupid problem to have to worry about. I love Remington but, having to spend an extra 150.00 to 250.00 extra on an action to make it safe then so be it. But for now on I might spend the extra money on a different brand, we will see
Old 10-22-2013, 02:42 PM
Gold Member

If you don't know how to correctly tune a trigger, leave it alone.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:12 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrodmar10 View Post
If you don't know how to correctly tune a trigger, leave it alone.
Once again if you send your rifle to a well known builder and they adjust it then you should still not trust it. The guy that built my rifle is well known on this site. Anybody would trust his work,My trigger did not fail until fired A LOT. I think you should not trust a Remington trigger AT ALL