Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Lowering "RECOIL" for hunting & Shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 06:57 AM

Lowering "RECOIL" for hunting & Shooting

I'm new to the forms, I posted in the Long range rifles to get some advice, and got lots of great opinions. Diriel said I should check in here to see if any of you Gunsmiths can help me now that I know what cal I need to get. I'm kinda down to 2 guns now but need to see which one will will be the best for me and at what cost. Also, What would the price be for either one completed, and which will be the lowest recoiling and what would the difference be between them in recoil vs cost difference... I need it "Very-accurate" at 800Yards... I'm looking at the Savage-Long-Range Hunter in 300WM or the Savage 110BA in 300WM. I have been told that the 110BA has the recoil of just under a 243. (But I don't know what that feels like as I never shot a 243. before.) So, What I need to know is, as I have very bad shoulders, How low of recoil can we get these guns without spending a Bazillion dollars... I'm Handicapped and on very low income.. I only have around $2,000. to spend on the gun as the scope is about another $1,000 or more. (Burris-Eliminator 3) I can get the 110BA for around $1800. and it comes with a 35% muzzle Brake, or the L.R.Hunter for around $780. Don't think that has M.Brake on it. So, maybe one of you can get them for less? And then figure out how to get the recoil very low and mount the scope and fit it to me? Any help would be very much appreciated!!
Old 12-15-2012, 05:27 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Lowering "RECOIL" for hunting & Shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debo View Post
I'm new to the forms, I posted in the Long range rifles to get some advice, and got lots of great opinions. Diriel said I should check in here to see if any of you Gunsmiths can help me now that I know what cal I need to get. I'm kinda down to 2 guns now but need to see which one will will be the best for me and at what cost. Also, What would the price be for either one completed, and which will be the lowest recoiling and what would the difference be between them in recoil vs cost difference... I need it "Very-accurate" at 800Yards... I'm looking at the Savage-Long-Range Hunter in 300WM or the Savage 110BA in 300WM. I have been told that the 110BA has the recoil of just under a 243. (But I don't know what that feels like as I never shot a 243. before.) So, What I need to know is, as I have very bad shoulders, How low of recoil can we get these guns without spending a Bazillion dollars... I'm Handicapped and on very low income.. I only have around $2,000. to spend on the gun as the scope is about another $1,000 or more. (Burris-Eliminator 3) I can get the 110BA for around $1800. and it comes with a 35% muzzle Brake, or the L.R.Hunter for around $780. Don't think that has M.Brake on it. So, maybe one of you can get them for less? And then figure out how to get the recoil very low and mount the scope and fit it to me? Any help would be very much appreciated!!
Put a good side discharge brake on it like many of our sponsors make and you can eliminate half or more of the felt recoil.

Go with the heaviest platform you can carry and that reduces felt recoil dramatically as well.

Add Mercury recoil reducer and Limbsaver Recoil Pad and you reduce it even further.

Do all of the above and you wont' have a problem.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:45 PM

So, what base model do you recommend I should get that will be the most accurate out of the box at lets say 800Yards in the 300WM? Rem-700?,Savage L.R.HUNTER? SAVAGE 110BA? Something else? Keep in mind I can only spend around $2000. on the gun completed with all the recoil reducing stuff you mentioned in your post. (+/-100.00) So I can't afford those $7-12,000.00 guns... And which would give me the best all around Quality, dependability,and performance under $2,000.00?
Old 12-15-2012, 04:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debo View Post
So, what base model do you recommend I should get that will be the most accurate out of the box at lets say 800Yards in the 300WM? Rem-700?,Savage L.R.HUNTER? SAVAGE 110BA? Something else? Keep in mind I can only spend around $2000. on the gun completed with all the recoil reducing stuff you mentioned in your post. (+/-100.00) So I can't afford those $7-12,000.00 guns... And which would give me the best all around Quality, dependability,and performance under $2,000.00?
Sendero 300wm would be my choice unless you can find an old Winchester Sharpshooter in 300wm. I have seen a couple of them on Gun Broker lately.

Rifles, Shotguns and Handguns for Sale - Buy Handguns, Rifles, and Shotguns Online at GunBroker.com

They are a rarity though so they don't come cheap.

I'm just not a Savage fan myself but many others love them.

With the right stock the recoil of the 300wm in a heavy barreled platform like the Sendero is extremely tolerable especially with the 165-190 class bullets.

Keep an eye on Gunbroker and our Classifieds section as there are some very decent deals that come up on Senderos with some frequency.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:33 PM

Thanks, I still need to find someone around here with a 300WM with a M--Brake and good recoil pad to try it before I spend the money on something I may not be able to shoot. I see the Sendero II But not just a Sendero, So is that the gun you recomend? Sendero II?
Old 12-18-2012, 06:47 PM
Silver Member

Heavier bullet with slower burning powder helps reduce recoil as well.

Google "Pain Killer" muzzle brake. You will not find a better muzzle brake on the market.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:33 PM
Silver Member

Currently Savage is outselling everything out there.

Your 110 and 116's (long Action) can be had for a very easy price tag especially used. Savage barrel changes or anything on a Savage as far as that is concerned requires NO gunsmithing if one has a little mechanical talent. Everything that can be done to a Savage takes minutes and no special tools that amounts to anything. There is a huge Savage following because of the ease of changing everything which Saves time and gunsmithing fees.

The following statement is just not true to my knowledge.

You will not find a better muzzle brake on the market. There are some very good brakes out there and this is one of them.

I would contact Jim @ centershotrifles.com and he can and will set you up with anything you need.

Neal