Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

long range short action recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2013, 08:10 PM
Silver Member

long range short action recommendations

Can any of you machine a savage single shot action to work with a detachable mag? Comparing the single shot to a repeater I have it doesn't look like a lot of work but I really don't know. I have the stock and dbm, being a center feed it wouldn't need to much of a feed ramp. Gun is a 223 if it matters. If anyone is willing to give it a shot for a reasonable amount please let me know. The local gun stores won't take it on trade and I've had no luck selling it, apparently no one wants a single shot. It's a right bolt left port target action. If you wanna re-chamber it to 22-250ai while your at it price that work as well. Thanks, Shane.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:41 PM
Gold Member

Re: need single shot sav action machined to repeater

How much do you want for it ? The work is going to cost more than the difference between prices of single shot vs multi shot actions.

A Target action new is $525 (stainless). A varmint action (Model 12 stainless) is $495, except that Savage stopped making them with the side bolt release. Only Jim from NSS has them ordered by batch from Savage and still sells them.

Send me a PM regarding your rifle and we can see if we can solve this "issue"...
Old 10-26-2013, 09:12 PM
Silver Member

I realise it will be more then the action price difference but as it sits I'm stuck with the whole gun in a single shot that's accurate as hell. The one thing I can't stand about it is the single shot part. I don't shoot sitting at a bench. So far since I haven't been able to sale or trade it I figured dumping some money in it would be better then letting it sit here and never get used. I bought it new before savage offered the target action in a repeater.only has a couple hundred rounds threw it. If it was a bare action it would be easier to get rid of to the bench rest crowd.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:07 PM
Platinum Member

There used to be a time when single shots were not allowed in certain classes of bench rest shooting. Not having the bottom cut out makes the action way stronger and gave an unfair advantage.

The single shot version is highly sought for accuracy builds. Should be no shortage of guys willing to trade a repeater for your single shot receiver.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:13 PM
Silver Member

Seems to be a a lot of people that think single shots are better for long range accuracy builds so maybe a re-barrel would be a good option in a caliber I could use more. How about shooting me some prices on a re-barrel and correct bolt head in something along the lines of 7wsm or any other cartridge that will fit in this short action single shot that would work for long range target and hunting. Wild cat would be fine so long as brass was some what available. I would like to stay 6.5 to 7mm. 24-26" long, varmint contour, muzzle threaded 5/8x24. I'm not finding much in the pre-fits for the large shank. Thanks for the help, looking forward to doing business with one of you excellent gunsmiths.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:27 PM
Silver Member

Go over to savageshooters.com and I can almost promise you there is someone there who will trade you or buy your action. The last single shot action I had sold in about 5 hours.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:47 PM
Bronze Member

Take your $ and buy a wrench, vise and some tooling (headspace gauges) and do it yourself... There is a mountain of info on Savage barrel swaps. Fundamentals are very easy to understand and what you dont, ask. It's not rocket science.

Your single shot with a proper bolt head will fire most anything. If you dont mind using the bolt release to allow longer cartridges you can shoot anything you want. You have the gun. You can buy quality pre-fits in anything. Bolt heads are avail from Savage and you only need the other two to shoot anything you want.....

Good luck