Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Loctite

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2007, 06:36 AM
Silver Member

James / Spec

Many thanks for all the advice it is really appreciated. It is indeed a Sako.

Decisions so far from me:

1. I ain't gonna use Loctite at ALL on my baby.

2. I will clean up the hole and the bolt/screw as you both described.

3. I am desperately seeking new screws and I agree, I want socket heads, I reckon they will look even nicer when I fit the McMillan A5 I have ordered for her in jan or Feb next year.

I'll take a look at Brownells to see if I can get them.

Thanks guys
Old 10-16-2007, 11:23 AM
Platinum Member

Brownells has them , part number (319-414-270) they are made by Forster and are the slotted head screw like you have , B-Square may make a hex head screw like used on the Rem and such.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:19 AM
Gold Member

1 more thing if the treads arnt buggered up I would use a cleaning tap...no need in recuttig threads just clean em out.

Lets call it a thread chaser/cleaning tap...smallest I found was a 1/4-20.....it will recondition and clean threads but will not recut them.

I know a regular ol bottom tap probably wont hurt a thing but its still another option.

Last edited by NYLES; 10-17-2007 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:52 AM
Silver Member

New set of screws on the way from Brownell's thanks guys.

A final question: How easy/difficult is it to get the screws converted to allen key head?
Old 10-20-2007, 09:18 PM
Gold Member

Screws and loctite

Hi you're screws are metric not Imperial they are 6mm. you can use new countersunc screws with allen key heads from a bolt shop. If you need some I can get you some. We also have a Sako parts account so could get replacement Sako paarts for you.

As for removing bolts locked in with loctite.

Any strength can be removed with hot water . boil a kettle and poure over the bolts then heat the bolts and place the driver into the slot and give a tap with a hammer to help release them and they will come out. This works with all grades of loctite .

Cheers Bill
Australia
Old 10-21-2007, 04:16 AM
Silver Member

Wild Bill

Thanks very much, here in the UK we don't have these kind of shops anymore. Would you get me Qty 4 (1 set as spare) with the Allen Key heads, they need to match the current profile of being counter sunk. I have a set coming from Brownells to tide me over until I take delivery of my new McMillan A5 due to land here february time and I would like the new ones for that.

Would you PM me with your details so I can get the funds to you, just let me know how much they cost.

Many thanks again HP;)