Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

local cost of barrel installation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2010, 10:17 AM
Silver Member

local cost of barrel installation

I thought a few of you might enjoy seeing what the local gunsmith in my area charges.

So I have collected all the pieces to put my rifle together except the barrel. I went to the local gunsmith here in Fairbanks. He is the only gunsmith in the entire area. I asked him how much for a broughton 26" barrel in .243ai installed and then all my componenets cerakoted. Here is his price breakdown.
barrel $400
reamer $250 and he gets to keep it.
Install $300
cerakote $300.

If I wanted it fluted +$200, Brake and install $250. He tells me because the price of metal has gone up. I guess I am putting this product on hold until I save up some more money and can ship the components out of state like I have been doing with the rest of my projects.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:24 AM

Re: local cost of barrel installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by partisan1911 View Post
I thought a few of you might enjoy seeing what the local gunsmith in my area charges.

So I have collected all the pieces to put my rifle together except the barrel. I went to the local gunsmith here in Fairbanks. He is the only gunsmith in the entire area. I asked him how much for a broughton 26" barrel in .243ai installed and then all my componenets cerakoted. Here is his price breakdown.
barrel $400
Install $300
cerakote $300.

If I wanted it fluted +$200, Brake and install $250. He tells me because the price of metal has gone up. I guess I am putting this product on hold until I save up some more money and can ship the components out of state like I have been doing with the rest of my projects.
Thats BS. Im work for a wrought iron company. I am both the sales manager as well as a weldor in the shop. Steel has gone up 19 cents a pound locally. I could see there being some difference because of your location, but i still think he s trying to screw you
Old 04-17-2010, 12:23 PM
Gold Member

wow can anyone say ripoff
Old 04-17-2010, 12:32 PM
Silver Member

If he is keeping busy, I'm quitting my job, going to gunsmith school, and moving to Alaska! Heck, you can undercut by almost half and still make a mint!

I would look else where, if you have all the parts, turn around time should be quick. Good luck.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by partisan1911 View Post

barrel $400
Install $300
cerakote $300.

How much would it cost you if have it shipped and done in CONUS?

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:37 PM
SPONSOR

He must not realize the market is nation wide these days. I'm not against paying for above average work, but , the price needs to be competitive. You could order that reamer yourself from Manson Reamers, they might even have it on the shelf, $130 or so for a removable pilot finisher, order the barrel from Broughton, they don't offer any discounts 'till you order 5 in one order, w/shipping they're about $350. Even with the added shipping to your local you'd come out ahead. Maybe, he just didn't want the work! It might be he has to "farm it out" and make a profit too. That .243AI is pretty common for 'smiths, that do chambering, to have.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:00 PM
Platinum Member

Oder the reamer yourself and pay $130.00 and keep it. Then find a smith on this site to do the work for you. Shipping is not that expensive.
I do not know if there is a list of the gunsmiths post on here somewhere, but there should be.