Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Limbsaver on HS Precision

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 03:10 PM
Silver Member

Limbsaver on HS Precision

How difficult is it to install a Limbsaver pad on HS Precision stock? What Limbsaver part number would be needed?
Old 10-26-2012, 10:33 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Limbsaver on HS Precision

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayhot View Post
How difficult is it to install a Limbsaver pad on HS Precision stock? What Limbsaver part number would be needed?

The problem with the limb saver is that it cant be ground/sanded to match the stock if it is the gel
type so you have to find one that fits perfict without alteration.

limb saver makes one that can be sanded but it is solid.

I like the Pachmayer Decelerator because you can get them in 1/2'' or 1'' thicknesses.

also some of the HS stocks have glued on recoil pads and dont have any bosses for the screws.

J E CUSTOM
Old 10-27-2012, 09:03 AM
SPONSOR

+1 for the Pachmyr Decelerator
Old 11-05-2012, 11:13 AM
Silver Member

Most glue on the Limbsaver. Not me. I epoxy in a Pine plug and screw the pad to the plug.

The Pachmayr XLT is a weak sister compared to the Limbsaver for recoil reduction.

I don't grind down the grind to fit pads, but leave the full size for more pad to shoulder connection area. The reveal is covered with a stock pad
Triad Tactical, Inc.*::*Triad Tactical*::*All Triad Stock Packs*::*Triad Stock Pack

I am shooting prone from a bi pod with a light weight 10 pound hunting rifle with bipod, scope, sling, rear bag, and ammo. I leave the stock pull much longer than a normal stock because of the prone shooting.

I am shooting 7mmRemMag 150 gr at 3375 fps.
I feel no pain at all from recoil.

What does it all mean?
It gets down to function vs appearance, and I am not building jewelry for women, I am building tools for men.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:26 AM
Silver Member

Old 11-08-2012, 10:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark View Post
What does it all mean?
It gets down to function vs appearance, and I am not building jewelry for women, I am building tools for men.
Lousy workmanship is one of my pet peeves so maybe I should apologize for the following in advance.

Based on those pictures, I'm having a tough time believing you are serious. But if you are, what it means is you are a hack of a craftsman. A person doesn't have to choose between function and appearance on a recoil pad, you can have both. You aren't building tools, you are cobbling butt pads.

Also, if you are shooting 150 gr bullets at 3375fps, you probably need a lesson in reloading too.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:16 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
Lousy workmanship is one of my pet peeves so maybe I should apologize for the following in advance.

Based on those pictures, I'm having a tough time believing you are serious. But if you are, what it means is you are a hack of a craftsman. A person doesn't have to choose between function and appearance on a recoil pad, you can have both. You aren't building tools, you are cobbling butt pads.

Also, if you are shooting 150 gr bullets at 3375fps, you probably need a lesson in reloading too.
I have designed products for many companies, and some of them have special sections for those who design the appearance. Guys who work in those areas have feminine voices and bring in lots of potted plants.

Meanwhile, over in the "form follows function" areas, the guys sound like they are growling.