Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Length of Pull

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011, 04:14 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Length of Pull

Remember that shooting in a t shirt and shooting with a heavy coat will affect the length of pull you desire.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by One_Duck_Limit View Post
I had the same question last year before I ordered a stock. When I spoke to the stock manufacturer they said the standard 13 1/2" pull you find on most factory rifles fits the average man at 5' 10" tall. I mentioned I was 6' 2" and they immediately recommended adding 1/4" for a 13 3/4" pull. I removed the recoil pad from my factory stock and added a 1/4" spacer to see how it felt. I couldn't believe the difference 1/4" made. I ordered my new stock with 13 3/4" pull and haven't looked back.
You must have some short arms. I'm 6' 2" and my arms are not exceptionally long and my McMillan A3 has a LOP of 14.75" and it fits great.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:13 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebark View Post
You must have some short arms. I'm 6' 2" and my arms are not exceptionally long and my McMillan A3 has a LOP of 14.75" and it fits great.

EUREKA ! we have discovered something ! there IS NO "average" lengh of pull, that's a myth fostered by arms mfg.'s to "fit" the masses. Everyone needs to be measured, or know how to measure, for correct fitting of a stock.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:45 AM
Silver Member

There are also differences in stock length needed when it comes to shooting position and LOP. The old use of distance between the inside of the elbow and the joint in the trigger finger is about as nonsensical as it gets. Its also the reason I use a H-S Precision stock with the adjustable comb and butt. So much easier to set up for either position. If you get your gun to fit you for offhand shooting and then try to shoot it prone you have to do all kinds of twisting to get it in the right position without them. Problem is, most guns that can be adjusted to fit you in any position are also heavy which does not lend itself well to what is thought to be a hunting gun. Really it all depends on your hunting style.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:49 PM

Guy's I know this length of pull thing has been discussed over and over but I'm still confused. Today I checked all of my stocks for proper fit and all of them are to short for my hands from the grip to the trigger. When I grip any of the stocks my trigger finger comes up about 3/8" in front of the trigger shoe. It wouldn't matter if the LOP was 20" they still wouldn't fit properly. Does anyone know of a hunting type stock that would better fit a large hand? Not really wanting to go to a tactical style stock even though I believe they may fit my hand better.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocker View Post
Guy's I know this length of pull thing has been discussed over and over but I'm still confused. Today I checked all of my stocks for proper fit and all of them are to short for my hands from the grip to the trigger. When I grip any of the stocks my trigger finger comes up about 3/8" in front of the trigger shoe. It wouldn't matter if the LOP was 20" they still wouldn't fit properly. Does anyone know of a hunting type stock that would better fit a large hand? Not really wanting to go to a tactical style stock even though I believe they may fit my hand better.
Did you read Shawn Carlock's article, esp. on web to trigger and grip section? He covered the whole LR fitting aspect not just the LOP.

Fitting The Long Range Rifle

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.