Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Length of Pull

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2011, 08:31 AM

Length of Pull

How do you decide on the proper length of pull? I can't seem to find much information on this subject, not even on the custom rifle stock mfg websites. It seems to me that this is a very important subject when buying a rifle stock and it often gets overlooked.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:39 AM
Gold Member

Re: Length of Pull

call the stock maker after u decide which one u want. length of pull is subjective, we all have a different requirement. it's a matter of what works for you and your needs in regard to "fit" your frame. I have a different LOP on different rifles, tho minor, because of the optics mounted and recoil involved maybe a 1/4" at most, but that's why "custom" stocks are called custom.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:13 PM
Platinum Member

Try this ...

Good luck!

Ed

ADDED: There are also similar threads below ...

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.

Last edited by FEENIX; 03-20-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:50 PM

Thanks guys for the response. Don't want you to think I'm a green-horn with rifles and shooting because I'm not. It's just that the measurement between the bicep and the dip joint makes no sense to me. Somewhere between those two measurements you have to grip the stock and there can be a huge difference in stocks from the grip to the trigger shoe. I need a 15-1/2" LOP when using that method, but the tip of my finger is at least 1/2" in front of the trigger on a Mcmillan Classic Sporter or HS Stock when I hold the grip. Also, when ordering stocks in the past, the manufacturer's acted as if 1/4" makes a huge difference and I should not go any longer than about 14inches.
It seems to me like the stock mfg's should somehow list both of those measurements about there stocks since we don't always have the luxury of holding every different model when ordering. That's my take on it for whatever it's worth.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:31 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocker View Post
Thanks guys for the response. Don't want you to think I'm a green-horn with rifles and shooting because I'm not. It's just that the measurement between the bicep and the dip joint makes no sense to me. Somewhere between those two measurements you have to grip the stock and there can be a huge difference in stocks from the grip to the trigger shoe. I need a 15-1/2" LOP when using that method, but the tip of my finger is at least 1/2" in front of the trigger on a Mcmillan Classic Sporter or HS Stock when I hold the grip. Also, when ordering stocks in the past, the manufacturer's acted as if 1/4" makes a huge difference and I should not go any longer than about 14inches.
It seems to me like the stock mfg's should somehow list both of those measurements about there stocks since we don't always have the luxury of holding every different model when ordering. That's my take on it for whatever it's worth.
your exactly right, the stock makers know how to do it the right way. the elbow to finger measurement is not accurate and has been around for years.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:35 AM
Platinum Member

Those illustrations are meant to be guide and have descriptions/instructions on "how to measure" but I no longer have them. The final measurement determination is how the rifle is held for use.

One of the best authority in the subject is Shawn and illustrates it best on his article below ...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/arti...ge-rifle-2.php

Below is also a reference video from Midway ...

YouTube - Making Length of Pull Nearly Perfect

Good luck!

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.

Last edited by FEENIX; 03-24-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:38 PM
Bronze Member

I had the same question last year before I ordered a stock. When I spoke to the stock manufacturer they said the standard 13 1/2" pull you find on most factory rifles fits the average man at 5' 10" tall. I mentioned I was 6' 2" and they immediately recommended adding 1/4" for a 13 3/4" pull. I removed the recoil pad from my factory stock and added a 1/4" spacer to see how it felt. I couldn't believe the difference 1/4" made. I ordered my new stock with 13 3/4" pull and haven't looked back.