Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Lathe question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2009, 03:05 PM

Re: Lathe question

Roy,

I typically just wrap some 600 grit or finer around a dowel rod to polish the inside of something. It all depends on the size. I made a bar a long time ago to hold emery cloth to polish the larger stuff. Yo ucould even polish it down to 2000 grit if you want a finer finish. Just make sure you keep a loose grip on the dowel in case it jams up, so it doesn't pull you into the chucks (really BAD day).

The higher the speed, the quicker the finish, but it is also a little more dangerous.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:42 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonsBane View Post
Roy,

I typically just wrap some 600 grit or finer around a dowel rod to polish the inside of something. It all depends on the size. I made a bar a long time ago to hold emery cloth to polish the larger stuff. Yo ucould even polish it down to 2000 grit if you want a finer finish. Just make sure you keep a loose grip on the dowel in case it jams up, so it doesn't pull you into the chucks (really BAD day).

The higher the speed, the quicker the finish, but it is also a little more dangerous.
That'll work.

I polish chambers, and other ID surfaces, using a wood dowel with a slot sawed in the end. Auto parts stores have selections of wet and dry usually from 400 to 1,000 grit. I usually use a dowel about 2/3's the diameter of the ID I'm polishing and dip the paper in cutting oil before I use it. Stick a piece about 4 diameters long in the dowel, slide it into the chamber, then turn on the lathe at the highest speed. The oil both drags the paper out against the surface being polished and tends to keep it clean by floating the particles out from between the paper and the metal.

Keep it moving in and out to get a cross hatch - doesn't take more than 15 to 20 seconds, with each grit.

With the rod noticably smaller than the chamber there is little chance it will grab but I hold it loosely anyway.

Fitch
Old 12-31-2009, 09:38 PM

Oops! I forgot about the slot in the end.

It really sucks if the dowel grabs. Spent 8 weeks with my right hand in a cast from a dowel grabbing. Broke 6 bones in a blink of an eye.

It depends on what i'm polishing as to whether or not I use cutting oil, but for most things it'll work just fine.

WD40 will work in a pinch.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:04 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonsBane View Post
Oops! I forgot about the slot in the end.

It really sucks if the dowel grabs. Spent 8 weeks with my right hand in a cast from a dowel grabbing. Broke 6 bones in a blink of an eye.

It depends on what i'm polishing as to whether or not I use cutting oil, but for most things it'll work just fine.

WD40 will work in a pinch.
Ouch!

I keep the dowel quite a bit smaller than the ID of the hole, no bigger than about 2/3's the size. The relatively short piece of emery paper has never bunched up to grab the dowel ... yet (been doing it for 50 years or more), but I'm careful anyway.

Glad you are healed up again.

Fitch
Old 01-01-2010, 09:51 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for all of the replies. The main thing that will dictate the size of the lathe, if I get one, is the location that I have to set it up. I don't have room for a big one right now.

Blackbrush- I know the area your in. I've got customers (I do contract control system and PLC programming for the energy business) all over that area. Blackbrush (the company) is familiar too but I've never worked for them. Don't think they still do processing and compression. I've worked everywhere from Tilden down to Alice over to Freer, Carrizo Springs, Eagle Pass, etc., and on down into the valley.

Thanks for the info Roy. I haven't checked HF yet.

Polishing- Just an idea but have you thought about using Flitz or Semi-Chrome (I like Flitz) on one of those cotton-wool mops that "they" sell for cleaning guns (bore mop)? Or super fine steel wool? I'm betting the steel wool is a bad idea for some things due to impregnation of the particles in whatever it is that you are polishing.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:49 PM
Bronze Member

Mike,

You are halfway there...

As far as room, I have mine stuffed lengthwise in a finished out shipping container on the ranch. I am just outside Cotulla so you realize how hot it gets. Summer comes and I turn on the a/c, play and learn. If I didn't mention it before, I have a South Bend 10L or 10x36. In an 8' wide container (minus about 10" for finish out) I have yet encounter a space issue.

I love my SB, but it is the only thing I know. My mentor recommended it and that took a lot of heat off me as he earned complete trust and admiration in the machining industry and precision long-range shooting systems as well as myself. Coming full circle, I would not persuade you on this brand or that. There are many good/great lathes out there.

This I will say; after you purchase a lathe, or lathe and mill, let the money spending begin....

Cheers!

Wally
Old 01-02-2010, 09:27 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
This I will say; after you purchase a lathe, or lathe and mill, let the money spending begin....

That's what I'm afraid of. A year ago I was happy that my out of the box .270 was giving me sub moa at 100 yards. About a month ago I was griping because my .308 VTR was grouping under 2" at 300 yards (I got over that one). I've always said that I would never own or need a custom rifle (it should be ready in 5 or 6 months). Now I've got a Kestrel, very good rangefinder (finally... that took three tries), ballistics software,etc. On the upside, I've had good reloading gear for at least 10 years and I've honed my skills with that. But, I have to admit that reloading has and probably will be an evolving skill. I seem to learn something new all the time.

This was linked to by a guy on a machinist site. He liked it and the price is pretty attractive considering all of the accessories and free shipping... the DRO option price is real nice since its installed

PM1236