Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

from Lathe to Production Machine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2011, 10:34 AM
Platinum Member

Re: from Lathe to Production Machine

Will I ever live the super glue thing down...... I'm finding that there is something called, I suppose tension, which when cut properly eliminates the need for space age adhesive. That was quite hard to come to grips with. I had no idea of how much a thou really is.

I've also, in the last few minutes, learned that something called a "form" cutting tool exists. I've had that tho't in the ol' knoggin for a while. Will contact the company that makes them next week.

My advantage is that I want a machine that makes only one thing very well. Not a machine that can make different things.

All I want is to be able to hit a woof every once in awhile regardless of how far away it is. That's about all the motivation I need.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:50 AM
Gold Member

....I bees wit ya BRO!

You help make my old day! Keep up the good work. I won't AX you any more about the glue if you promise never to use it again to hold the bolt together, the primer in place and to hold the bullet in place with equal neck tension by using only one silly MM of brass to do this with.

U are a GOOD man Charlie Brown!

Get -R- Done.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:21 AM
SPONSOR

It seems to me the first patent for a multiple spindle machine was in the 1890's! Form tools were already used then on single spindle machines. You really are 'crawling around in the dark' , aren't you. You'll have to get rid of the chuck and go to collets. You'll probably have to build a pneumatic opening/closing system for the collet(s) or find an existing device that can be made to work with your machine. On a W&S #3 Electro-Cycle (turrent lathe), that I did set-up work on, there was a pneumatic 'bar feeder. It would handle up to 1 3/4" material, yours should be much easier to build (because of its small size and lesser air requirements). You'll need an adjustable bar stop, of sorts, too. One that works automatically.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member

Crawling around in the dark is an understatement! But, Hey, may as well spend the ol' life doing somethin'.

I've know about the collet issue for quite awhile. Not quite ready to jump in yet. The one that would fit the lathe, was about the right size was closer to $7k than $6k.

I've found several options since then but will have to learn more before jumping.

It's quite interesting to crawl through the unknown without a guide.

I can see what I want in my head. No one else seem to understand.

I'll feel pretty dumb when I get it as best I can and isn't good enough for prime time.

There is a reason Berger and others don't tackle this! Bet I'm gonna learn why.

Several of my other ideas were tackled by Elmer Keith and another famous gun fella, can't recall his name at the moment at the Ogden Utah armory back in the day. It had to do with flash tubes and forward ignition. I think it is still used on the 20mm cannon cartridge??

Needless to say I've launched several small copper tubes down range from time to time. The concept greatly improves ES numbers, reduces felt recoil and launches copper down range from time to time. So far no flash tube impact on target.....yet....
Old 09-11-2011, 12:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortgrass View Post
Sounds like instead of making an expensive conversion , you should have looked aroud for a Brown & Sharps single spindle automatic!
my same thoughts! Perfect job for a # one or an Ought
gary
Old 09-11-2011, 06:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
my same thoughts! Perfect job for a # one or an Ought
gary
I'm thinkin' an 00 or a variant. Max material diameter will be .3 and usually 3/16".

I'll be doing so serious scrounging around.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
I'm thinkin' an 00 or a variant. Max material diameter will be .3 and usually 3/16".

I'll be doing so serious scrounging around.
Double Ought!! I saw one once. Ever see an Ought Warner Swasey chucker? I don't think the B&S machines are built anymore, and they can be a nightmare to put back together. I personally would look for a Traube or a Davenport. Greenlee would be too expensive.

Another interesting little bar feed lathe you might find is a Swiss Pattern. I think the max they'll handle is .50 steel. The spindle head will neeed a rebuild every year with hard usage in steel, and even then it's not hard to do. Still I hate them! A Davenport or a Traube is a much better machine, but you can buy five or six of them for the price of a good screw machine
gary