Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

from Lathe to Production Machine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2011, 01:40 AM
Platinum Member

from Lathe to Production Machine

Admittedly I know jack squat about the machining trade. But what I do know, I really know..

I have my process down to where after truing and converting the bench lathe to pseudo CNC the part I desire can be turned in a minute or so.

The problem is that the machine has to be attended every minute. Driving costs to dramatic levels.

I can create and install an automatic feed capability fairly simply. However ya still gotta loosen the chuck for each piece.

There are such things a pneumatic and hydraulic chucks and collet chucks. I know nothing about them other than they seem to be expensive.

These devices are the only thing that I've come across that will do away with the baby sitting. I think.......

If by switching a switch the collet chuck opens and closes, the feed mechanism will feed the round stock (3/16" and a bit larger) without a problem, I think.......

The three jaw chuck on the machine is a 4" thing.

The process is cut and part the part. Slide the stock against a stop and repeat over and over and over.

Any hints or helps.

Roy
Old 09-10-2011, 03:22 AM
Gold Member

Re: from Lathe to Production Machine

Sorry Roy I can't really help you but I sure an interested as to what you are up to. My guess is a high BC .277 projectile.

Stu.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:54 AM
SPONSOR

Sounds like instead of making an expensive conversion , you should have looked aroud for a Brown & Sharps single spindle automatic!
Old 09-10-2011, 09:21 AM
Platinum Member

Stu,

Yep, you're spot on.

Shortgrass,

Too funny. You definitely don't know me very well! Me and expensive aren't compatible. Being a nuub with ziltch machining background, knowledge or skills how was I supposed to know there was a gizmo such as a gizmo. If I wouldn't have seen the name in this context I would have tho't that a Brown & Sharps single spindle automatic was some kind of a weapon.

I now know more about Brown and Sharpe than I need to:
Brown & Sharpe Manufacturing Co. -- Company History

Thanks for the pointer. This is just another reason I hang around this place.

I can only imagine that the first fella that simply wanted a bunch of "holes" had to first have the need, then had to invent or innovate a "bit" of some sort that didn't work very well then continue until he had a rotary bit then something to turn it. Thus the brace and bit. Wanting more holes faster the drill motor was developed. For more accuracy along came the drill press and on and on and all. Hell, all that was wanted was a hole!

Now I'm gonna have to learn how to select a decent Brown & Sharps single spindle automatic gizmo. There is one in Edmonton Alberta. The prices are well under what a single run on a Citizen costs by an order of magnitude. (100,000*.15 = 15,000 smackeroos!)

My approach for the prototype process is simple, inexpensive (fairly), and way out of the box. Harbor Freight bench lathe - trued chuck to zero run out or as close as humanly possible (ruined sever jaws learning how to do this), LEGOs Mindstorms brick and motors, any materials scrounged around the apartment building that looked like it could me made to work, several trips to Ace Hardware for odds and ends. I've been able to "program" to compensate for the weakness of the inexpensive (cheap) equipment I'm using. Can hold tolerances under what my 29 buck digital calipers can measure. When I 'mike' them they are 'close enough' for me. until testing shows greater consistency is necessary.

Hopefully nearing production. Will know better when tester results come in. I can't shoot until next spring when I'll run these things through the 270 AM which turns out to be one hell of a stress test for bullets.

Thanks again for the heads up on the B&S machine. If you know of any lemme know. Have truck will travel.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:33 AM
Gold Member

Do you plan any sort of swaging or sorting operation to account for those tiny variations you get? I would worry that with a stout load in such a big case and you get one bullet this is a heavy .0001 off and being a solid you get into pressure trouble in a hurry. If you used a carbide sizing die or gauge it might save ya??? Sorry for jumping in but there is a reason those machines with tolerances tight enough to make bullets are BIG money.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:03 AM
Gold Member

Roy,
Is this another attempt to use “ THE GLUE”?????
Are you still doing the N.R.O. (Nipple Replacement Operation) or are you going for the Whole 9 yards???
Seeing how you once said how you “(being cheap and all)
I sure hope you don't waste $15,000 more trying not to throw away that one tube of $3.00 Super Glue!

Good luck which ever.

....and above all , Be SAFE.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:13 AM
SPONSOR

The B&S single spindle is probably considered obsolete, should be an easy find. Probably been thousands sold for scrap, by now. I 've not had nearly the experience with them as I have with multiple spindle automatics (Acme-Gridley). At production speeds we were able to hold tolerances of +.001/-.000. That was 30 years ago using high speed tooling and massive amounts of cutting oil under alot of pressure (close the guards before starting, or take an oil bath). By slowing feed rates a bit, one my hold closer tolerances. The key is in the tooling and the set-up. High quality material plays a part, too. Much of the 'tight tolerence' stuff we did then was made using material from "Latrobe Steel Specialties", don't even know if they're still in business or not. Depends on what parts you are making, and tolerances required whether an 'old fashioned screw machine' will meet your requirements. They were the mass producer of their day. But, there's no doubt about it, extensive knowledge of tooling, speeds & feeds, and the mechanics of the machine are required! There is no computer to do your thinking for you!