Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Lathe for gunsmithing??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2010, 12:32 PM
Gold Member

Re: Lathe for gunsmithing??

+1 on surplus auctions. I got my southbend 10" (has 1.5" hollow spindle) from a universtiy physics lab. included 3 jaw, 4 jaw, collet chuck, taper attachment,etc. and a 1 ton pickup load of tooling for $2000.00 This lathe was used to make one off tools and physics models., so, these great machines are out there if you look long and hard enough
Old 12-29-2010, 03:07 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Lathe for gunsmithing??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBULLET View Post
+1 on surplus auctions. I got my southbend 10" (has 1.5" hollow spindle) from a universtiy physics lab. included 3 jaw, 4 jaw, collet chuck, taper attachment,etc. and a 1 ton pickup load of tooling for $2000.00 This lathe was used to make one off tools and physics models., so, these great machines are out there if you look long and hard enough
best one I ever saw was when some fellows I was pheasant hunting with in Iowa asked me about a lathe they bought from one of the universities out there. So after a couple days I told them I'd look at it. Inside this four car garage was a brand new Warner Swasey #5 turret lathe! It was originally Navy surplus, and still had the white sealant all over it (they had no idea what it was) The spindle wouldn't turn when they turned it on because the clutches were backed off all the way. We spent about four hours cleaning it up and making some adjustments, and it ran like a new machine. I asked them how much they paid for it, and the owner said $350!!!! The chuck was worth $120 and inch alone! Everything was brand new. So I asked them what they were going to do with it, and they said cut off PVC drain pipe for irrigation use!! That's when I sat them down and explained what they owned, and what it was worth on the open market. (minimum of $25K). The demand was so great for those small turret lathes that they started making them again. Gave them a couple phone numbers to call to see if they could sell it, and heard they got over $35K for it (a new one was close to $75K without a chuck). Not a bad REIT!
gary