Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Latest Project - carving a gunstock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2011, 08:50 PM
Silver Member

Latest Project - carving a gunstock

This is the second stock I've ever made. The first was made out of Beech and was never actually used. Bedded it and everything just to try out the steps.

This one I completely finished including adding a grind to fit recoil pad. The wood is Lyptus which is my favorite dark wood to use making picture frames. It's inexpensive and with a good stain looks similar to Mahogany.

I made the blank by Gorilla Gluing two 4/4 boards together alternating the grain essentially making a 2 piece laminate stock. You can see the glue line from directly above but it is not noticeable unless you look for it.

The finish is numerous coats of a wiping varnish the same I use on frames. Wet sanding the finish in filled the pores. The stock is not much heavier than the tupperware plastic stock that came on this Remington SPS. The POI shift when using a bipod with the plastic stock was driving me nuts hence the need for a stiffer wood stock.

No checkering though I may try that later. I had a blow out when inletting the ejection port and then a few sanding marks I could have spent a few more minutes on but overall I'm real happy with it. Made the pistol grip nice and thick to fit my big paws. Going to epoxy on the recoil pad tonight to fill the slight gap. Should take it for a test run this weekend.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:02 PM
Silver Member

Re: Latest Project - carving a gunstock

Thats awesome.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:20 PM
Platinum Member

Nice job.

You should get hold of a nice blank with some character to it and make an exhibition piece.

The price of laminates is hard to beat. But, there's nothing quite like a beautiful piece of wood/workmanship.

-- richard
Old 05-28-2011, 10:51 AM
Silver Member

Thanks, I've had Lyptus before with some cool curly figure to it and may do another one if I can find some fancier wood. The wood stock shot so much better than the plastic one did. Nice to not have the stock jump and vibrate so much and the POI shift off the bipod was negligible compared to the 3-4 MOA shift I was getting with the Remington SPS plastic stock.