Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

laminate stocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2010, 11:02 PM
Platinum Member

Re: laminate stocks

Like everything there are always differences in the manufacture of any material so
I can only comment on the laminates I have owned and on the durability of these stocks.

I have found them to be very stable and durable If the laminating process is done right
they are very stable and water prof to a reasonable point.

I make custom knifes and use laminated wood for the scales (Handles) and also exotic woods
that have been stabilized. ( A process that forces resin in to the woods cellular structure
making it almost 100% resin) and these knifes can be placed in a dishwasher without harm.

I have never had the desire to submerge a rifle stock in water for 24 hours so I don't know
what would happen but who would do this to a stock of any kind.

There are some materials that are more stable. but they dont have the looks and feel of wood
and in some cases they even amplify the sound and the harmonics.

My preference is still the laminates for there all round qualities and price.

Every type of material has it's strong points and it's weaknesses so like a lot of things
it comes down to what you like and are willing to pay for it.

J E CUSTOM
Old 08-15-2010, 12:34 AM
Silver Member

thanks for the info,ive found a couple laminated stocks i like so im going to try one.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:43 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
Like everything there are always differences in the manufacture of any material so
I can only comment on the laminates I have owned and on the durability of these stocks.

I have found them to be very stable and durable If the laminating process is done right

I make custom knifes and use laminated wood for the scales (Handles) and also exotic woods
that have been stabilized. ( A process that forces resin in to the woods cellular structure
making it almost 100% resin) and these knifes can be placed in a dishwasher without harm.

I have never had the desire to submerge a rifle stock in water for 24 hours so I don't know

There are some materials that are more stable. but they dont have the looks and feel of wood

Every type of material has it's strong points and it's weaknesses so like a lot of things

J E CUSTOM
I agree 100%.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:20 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post

J E CUSTOM
Can you or someone else recommend some good laminate stocks for general hunting rifles? Laminates are "supposedly" a heavier stock as compared to regular wood or synthetics, so are there any recommended ways to lighten them up?

I prefer to hunt in the rain here in Washington, and the finish on some of my wood stocked rifles has suffered because of it, so would I be better off going with a quality laminate or a McMillan on a new build? I'm planning on a finished weight comparable to a M700 Mtn. Rifle or less, and had been thinking a McM. Mtn. Rifle stock in Edge.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:26 PM
Bronze Member

This a laminate that Joel Russo put together for me.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenwalker View Post
This a laminate that Joel Russo put together for me.

Joel does nice work and puts a good finish on his stocks.

The weight of the Laminate is what you want for proper balance.(It is only a little
heaver than composites) and has the weight in the butt stock where its needed.

I have seen a lot of people buy a composit and have to add weight to the butt for recoil
reduction or balance, So why not buy a laminate in the first place if you are going to add weight.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited by J E Custom; 08-20-2010 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:34 PM
Bronze Member

Another vote for a laminate stock I have one of Joels on my .338 edge ai and love it.