Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Lambeth/Kiff Micrometer Adjustable Reamer Stop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2008, 05:58 AM
Silver Member

I do all my chambers with finishing reamer.

Ronin:

Since I use a high pressure flush system and ream at high speed I chamber with a finishing reamer. My barrels and reamers never even get warm. I am running 15 gallons of Rustlic 255R through my barrel under 10-125 psi. I cut .100 back out .020 let it flush, cut anther .100 and repeat the process. I pull out about twice during the entire operation checking for chips in the neck shoulder area. When I get to the last .050 I cut and flush about ever .010. Since I use a MARS I cut my pressure down cutting the final .050 but I check for chips every .010. This method prevents any chip rings in your chamber. It takes very little chamber polishing, chamfer the mouth and your done. I just did a .308 in a Broughton barrel Sunday. I ran my lathe in both directions at 600 rpms for 5 minutes in both directions warming the berrings. I dialed in the barrel with with .001 indicators off a tight fitting PT&G bushing and range rod. I dialed in the barrel until the needle was staying constant on a single tick mark. My lathe is proper aligned and level. I still use a floating reamer holder. I cut the chamber and inserted the same bushed range rod and put an intrepid .0001 indicator on it and another on the chamber wall just inside the tendon face. Both indicators showed less than .0002 TIR. Yes, 2 tenths. It can't get much better than that with a manual lathe due to bearing runout.

Rustystud
Old 11-25-2008, 08:01 PM
Silver Member

Re: Lambeth/Kiff Micrometer Adjustable Reamer Stop

William your chack is in the mail.

One advantage with the MARS it can prevent you from undercutting a chamber. Thus having to set back a barrel.

It also allows you to remove the Reamer and clean and inspect it without loosing your point of reference.

I cut chambers for 40 years without a MARS so it definately can be done.

I have not undercut any barresl since I started using the MARS.

My chambering time has been cut in half and maybe 90 percent in some cases.

Time is money when you do piece work to make a living.

Most of the advice that I give comes from the mistakes I have made in the past.

Rustystud