Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Kroil ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2011, 10:14 AM

Kroil ???

Anyone ever use Kroil for cleaning barrels out. I heard that it enables the powder and copper to be lifted out much easier with regular cleaners because it's a penetrating oil and gets under the powder and copper.

Is there any truth to this and will it hurt a barrel in any way, (i.e. not let any other protectent adhere or coat the barrel)?
Old 07-22-2011, 12:10 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Kroil ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas 00 View Post
Anyone ever use Kroil for cleaning barrels out. I heard that it enables the powder and copper to be lifted out much easier with regular cleaners because it's a penetrating oil and gets under the powder and copper.

Is there any truth to this and will it hurt a barrel in any way, (i.e. not let any other protectent adhere or coat the barrel)?
Kroil is the absolutely best penetrating oil out there. I use it to swab barrels I shoot moly coated bullets in, but not as a lubrecant.
gary
Old 07-22-2011, 01:30 PM
Platinum Member

I like Kroil a lot, I finish of with a Kroil patch and it seems to make everything go better later on.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 07-22-2011, 02:21 PM
Gold Member

I first started using kroil when I was on the Molyed Bullet kick. I did alot more shooting then and used moly in my varmit rifles and small pores. It helped clean the bbl with out removing the moly "seasoning" from the bbl and I found that I could get away with cleaning after 50 or so rounds before my accuracy suffered. Kriol was simple, wet a patch, let it soak and then knock it out with acouple of dry patches. It worked great.

I now use kroil as a finish to my cleaning routiene. I clean with a copper/powder solvent first then I wet the bore with kroil let it sit for 10 miniutes or so then dry with a clean tight patch.

It will not hurt you barrel and does help in future cleaning.

As a side note, make sure you don't get any into your trigger group or bolt and clean it up out of the action as it will gum up. It is not a mechanical lubercant, it is meant to break free rusty parts and as a bore cleaner. The petroleum distillates will evaporate and leave behind an awful mess. (I found this out the hard way and cleanup was a real pain.)

Dan
Old 07-22-2011, 03:47 PM
Gold Member

Works greta. But it creeps as it seems to have a capilary type of behavior which is great for the purpose but make sure you seal it well when not using.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:12 PM

great info. I like some aspects of kroil, just not sure that it justifies changing from how I've been doing business for years. I'm always looking for a better mouse trap though. may try in the future...

thanks.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas 00 View Post
great info. I like some aspects of kroil, just not sure that it justifies changing from how I've been doing business for years. I'm always looking for a better mouse trap though. may try in the future...

thanks.
I used to build and repair machinery for a living, and bought the stuff by the case. I used both aerosol and the pint cans. But I used it for removing bolts and stuff. If it won't work then you best resign yourself to the drill press..

Things to try:

*ATF fluid, good enough to wash your hands with
*Marvels Mistory Lube
*Mercury Outboard Engine Cleaner
gary