Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

JGS Precision Reamers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2014, 10:02 AM
Platinum Member

Re: JGS Precision Reamers

Well back to the subject.

I know my smith uses a mixed collection of reamers makers but I remember him saying my final head spacing for the WSM and 260 were JGS rather than PTG.

My 300 WSM is well sub MOA on JGS finish reamer into a Pac-Nor prefit.
My 260 REM has shot an 8x in a 2x20@1000 at a very wind driven match, same.
My just completed but not tuned 338 Edge went sub MOA on shots 4,5 and 6 with a PTG into a Benchmark barrel. I thought I had a thead on this but I'll get pictures today.

Next chamber, going to smith next week, is a custom 300 Wby I want opened to 300 RUM. That reamer, owned by the smith is older so not subject to the quality issues of recent times.

but then

The latest chambering, the 338/26 Nosler. With a very recent PTG reamer. So we will see how it goes. I have a resize reamer to match.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:26 AM
Silver Member

Sounds good. I am glad to here JGS Precision is a good reamer. My gunsmith said the first 1 he bought was very good. My friend started in high school as a machinest . He did machinist ,I chose brick mansory at vocational school. We are both 41 years old. I not doubting his word about the JGS reamer, I just wanted more feed back from some of you guys that have used them, I think the reamer I ordered will be fine. I also have a 260. My daughter has claimed it as her gun. It has a Bartlein 1-8 twist #11 Medium Palma. I like the 6.5s. Next build for me will be 6.5x47. I have even thought 6.5x55 swede on a rem 700 action. Since i have a rem 700 long action in the safe I may go either way. Sometimes I cant make -up my own mind!
Old 07-26-2014, 10:39 AM
Platinum Member

Don't ruin a barrel over a reamer, measure it up to check shoulder, base and neck diameter then punch it into the extra muzzle length of the barrel till the body starts and you can seat a bullet and check that your throat is what your looking for. Made the mistake once with PTG and just chambered up a barrel, fortunately it was a mistake on body taper so after getting the correct reamer the chamber just needed a slight opening up.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"