Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

JGS Precision Reamers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2014, 09:01 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: JGS Precision Reamers

If you never acknowledge there's a problem, it will never get fixed..

Just my .02...

"Character is who you are when nobody is watching"
Old 07-25-2014, 10:25 AM
Silver Member

Thanks guys! I am going to go with JGS Precision. I was told 5-6 weels on 297 zero freebore 6.5x284 reamer. I have everything else I need, just waiting on reamer!
Old 07-25-2014, 11:22 AM
Bronze Member

I just did some research also and decided to go with JGS, for a wildcat ar reamer. they look to have a solid reputation and good turn around times.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:59 AM
Platinum Member

My 338/26 Nosler is here and now I am very concerned. Barrels are a big portion of the investment in a custom rifle and ruining a barrel with a poorly made reamer is expensive.

I guess I will test before use.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:47 PM
Silver Member

To some people yes, thats true. But with a 1100-1300 dollar action a barrel is not that big of a deal to me. Let me explain. I am building this 6.5x284 lapua as an F-class gun. I personally look at barrels as a reloading componet. I have a 32 inch cylinder bore barrel for this rifle. I OWN my reamer not the gunsmith, we are good friend, he shoots at my range so it only cost me 150 dollars to set back a barrel. Of course I bring it to him with scope and stock off. He just takes barrel of cuts , chambers, and rethread will I wait. My main concern is reamer quailty and wait time.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltraps View Post
To some people yes, thats true. But with a 1100-1300 dollar action a barrel is not that big of a deal to me. Let me explain. I am building this 6.5x284 lapua as an F-class gun. I personally look at barrels as a reloading componet. I have a 32 inch cylinder bore barrel for this rifle. I OWN my reamer not the gunsmith, we are good friend, he shoots at my range so it only cost me 150 dollars to set back a barrel. Of course I bring it to him with scope and stock off. He just takes barrel of cuts , chambers, and rethread will I wait. My main concern is reamer quailty and wait time.
Yes, barrels are a wear component. Price per round fired calculations should included barrel set back and eventual replacement but...

How many $700+ Pac-Nor barrels with a 6 month wait can you afford to have ruined by a reamer? Not fun to start with a 28" finished barrel and before firing it, order a replacement reamer, disassemble the rifle, cut the tenon off, rethread, rechamber..... or

Another 6 months and another $700. Hmmm.....

I'll check the reamer well before use.

I'm up to 3 owned reamers all PTG and more reamers will come. PTG? we will see. First "new" PTG reamer chambering will go to the range tonight.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:24 PM
Platinum Member

Oh and I had a nice chat with Dave Manson. I use lots of his tools.