Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

JGS Precision Reamers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2014, 10:28 PM
Silver Member

JGS Precision Reamers

I am in the process of getting ready to rebarrel to 6.5x284. Me and my gunsmith had major problems with PTG. He ordered a reamer for a friend from JGS. He said he like it and the turn around was 6 weeks .Who on here has used JGS? Are they good accurate reamers? 200 dollars for a 0 free bore reamer seams high? Thanks in advance for the response.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:36 PM
Platinum Member

Re: JGS Precision Reamers

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltraps View Post
I am in the process of getting ready to rebarrel to 6.5x284. Me and my gunsmith had major problems with PTG. He ordered a reamer for a friend from JGS. He said he like it and the turn around was 6 weeks .Who on here has used JGS? Are they good accurate reamers? 200 dollars for a 0 free bore reamer seams high? Thanks in advance for the response.

Most custom reamers are around $175.00, so $200.00 is not that far out of line.

Standard SAMME reamers start at $95.00 and go to as high as $150.00 depending on the cartridge size and popularity.

I use a lot of Mansion and Clymer Reamers with good results in both time of delivery and quality.

J E CUSTOM
Old 07-24-2014, 10:48 PM
Silver Member

I was using PtG, but never again. Last zero freebore from PTG was 147 plus shipping. Mansion and Clymer? What is the wait time like? I want a .297 zero freebore 6.5x284 reamer. I am rebarreling a 284 shehane I shoot f-class with. Im going back to 6.5x284 because I have a 32 inch cylinder bore blank barrel in the closet next to my safe.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:04 PM
Gold Member

JGS makes really good reamers as does Manson but they cost more and can take longer. The wait will most likely get even longer as the bad press continues from PTG. There are several threads on the subject on other sites.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:25 AM
Platinum Member

JGS is my first choice. Cost is the same custom or Saami. They cost more as they are built different than PTG reamers. I was just talking to the owner and he said they are close to the lowest lead times they have ever had. They added production capability over the winter.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:23 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Manson, Clymer, and JGS are good to go.

PTG is a no go.

Had numerous reamers ground from PTG that we're not even close to what was requested. Never could get a straight answer from them on how it happened.

I do not order anything from PTG...

"Character is who you are when nobody is watching"
Old 07-25-2014, 07:32 AM
Platinum Member

This is just a comment on what Is happening with PT&G.

In the past I had good luck with PT&G and used there reamers when no one else had the reamer in stock and needed it quick.

I have a preferred reamer maker and always will but sometimes I have had to go to other sources
for tools that I need.

Dave has been a good contributor to our sport and to this web site and I hate to hear that so many people are dissatisfied with his service and quality. If I were a friend of his I would express my concern and give him a chance to investigate the issues brought up.

A company is only as good as there employees and sometimes they can get out of control and cause a business lots of grief.

I hope Dave reads this and can fix the problem before it is to late. it would be a shame to lose such an asset to the industry.

Just My Opinion and hopes.

J E CUSTOM