Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Jewell trigger creep

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2009, 11:21 PM
Silver Member

Jewell trigger creep

What screw removes the creep? It is barely noticable, but I can tell it's there. I'm trying to set the pull at 2.75 lbs and get it consisently, but the creep bothers me. It is on a hunting gun. Would I be better off putting the Jewell on my long range gun and setting it to a lighter pull and putting the trigger that is on my LR gun (Timney) on my hunting rig?
Old 03-16-2009, 08:25 AM
Silver Member

Re: Jewell trigger creep

Many people have had the same issue. The "problem" is that for heavier pulls, the trigger needs to push against a spring and move a tiny amount to achieve the intended pull weight. I had the same feeling with my Jewell, and that was the explanation I got when I called Jewell. The engagement screw can be turned in a little to tune the amount of take up. Check out THE JEWELL TRIGGER MANUAL for directions on the adjustment.

BUT, after you tune the engagement, you absolutely need to do the safety checks by cocking your rifle, and closing the bolt hard a number of times to make sure it won't fire when the bolt is cycled hard. Decreasing the engagement too much will result in an unsafe rifle.

I had the same issue, and wound up putting a tuned factory trigger on my LR rig, and putting the Jewell on my varmint rifle. The 8oz pull on my varmint rifle is soooo nice.