Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Jewell trigger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2010, 12:56 PM
Official LRH SPONSOR

Jewell trigger

I got a problem with jewell triggers and was wondering if any one else has had a simpler problem. The gun is a6x47Lapau on a Defiance action. The first trigger failed with around 25 shots. It started droping the firing pin when closeing the bolt. It held with the safety on but when releasing the safety it fired. Next trigger with maybe 75 rounds on it stoped firing at all like the safety is on. Any one with any ideas for a solution. Dan
Old 04-22-2010, 01:16 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Jewell trigger

Yes I have seen similar events with a new Jewell. They are very fussy about dirt or cleaning solutions. If you let any bore cleaner get in them there is a pretty good chance they will fail. I would remove it, and flush it real good with lighter fluid, and blow it out. Do not apply oil just reinstall it and test.

Jeff
Old 04-22-2010, 01:26 PM
Official LRH SPONSOR

Not the problem. Just talked with jewell and they say the sear is broke in the first one. He said that it had to be caused by a hot load. The loads I was shooting was not that warm. I have locked the bolt on my 7/300wsm over a rifle basix and never had a problem. I asked him if it was posible that the heat treating was off and the metal was brittle and he implied that it had to be my fault that they couldn't have made a mistake. Will send the second one back today to see what is wrong with this one. Just don't see how it could break the sear if the primer was still in one piece. Dan
Old 04-22-2010, 01:35 PM
Platinum Member

I hear you. We returned the new one that was malfunctioning. They cleaned it and wanted $45. We asked why it acted up and they stated it was due to years of wear and tear. We said wait a minute?? It is only a few days old! They then snt out a new one free.

Jeff
Old 04-22-2010, 03:24 PM
Platinum Member

I have broken them shooting hot loads on at least a couple of occasions. Otherwise never a problem.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glover View Post
I asked him if it was posible that the heat treating was off and the metal was brittle and he implied that it had to be my fault that they couldn't have made a mistake. Dan
Too bad that any of the Jewell staff adopt a company-line approach of "Not Our Fault." EVERYONE puts out a defective item every once in a blue moon, at the least. If the reject rate was zero, no one would ever be able to afford the required sales price of any perfect product.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:14 PM
Platinum Member

Not to make anyone mad but you would be surprised at the number of people who do not install the trigger correctly. It may sound simple but it is possible to install one incorrectly lol!! Have seen more than one come into Speedy’s shop that looked like a monkey put it in… The Jewell is a very precision instrument (triggers in general are) that is more sensitive to dirt and must be installed correctly. Just think about this--if some of the parts are binding even slightly for whatever reason over time this will cause issues esp. if someone snaps it a lot without a fired empty in place.

Relevant example----when we were building my 300 Jarrett on New Year’s Eve Eve this year it took almost an hour to get everything “happy” as Speedy likes to say with the trigger and bottom metal fitting. He has installed thousands and even blueprints the competition ones on occasion for the absolute ultimate in a .5 oz trigger.