Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Jewell issue, long after install.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2014, 02:51 AM
Silver Member

Jewell issue, long after install.

I installed a jewel last year on my 700bdl 7mag, everything went fine. Worked like a charm. Fired 100+ rounds thru the rifle and took it hunting a few different times. No issues. I even had this trigger on a previous rifle with no problems.

I pulled it out of the safe a couple months back(been to busy to mess with it) and checked to make sure it wasn't loading to hand off to a buddy to check the scope out. When I closed the bolt the firing pin dropped. I looked again to make sure I saw what I saw. Its set at 1.5lbs, nothing appears to be touching the trigger. It has been in the safe since I returned from my last outing.

Anything I should specifically look for when I pull it apart?? I did not clean it on my last outing but I did the time before and it was fine then. Could something have broken in the trigger?

before I get pounded with "if you don't know what your doing you shouldn't mess with it". I'm confident enough to do the job. I work out of town 2 weeks at a time and I was just wanting to pick the brains of you guys to see what your opinions are while I'm out here in the gulf of mexico on an oil rig.
McSwirly A-5
Jewel trigger
Old 05-24-2014, 07:52 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Jewell issue, long after install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua99ta View Post
I installed a jewel last year on my 700bdl 7mag, everything went fine. Worked like a charm. Fired 100+ rounds thru the rifle and took it hunting a few different times. No issues. I even had this trigger on a previous rifle with no problems.

I pulled it out of the safe a couple months back(been to busy to mess with it) and checked to make sure it wasn't loading to hand off to a buddy to check the scope out. When I closed the bolt the firing pin dropped. I looked again to make sure I saw what I saw. Its set at 1.5lbs, nothing appears to be touching the trigger. It has been in the safe since I returned from my last outing.

Anything I should specifically look for when I pull it apart?? I did not clean it on my last outing but I did the time before and it was fine then. Could something have broken in the trigger?

before I get pounded with "if you don't know what your doing you shouldn't mess with it". I'm confident enough to do the job. I work out of town 2 weeks at a time and I was just wanting to pick the brains of you guys to see what your opinions are while I'm out here in the gulf of mexico on an oil rig.

I would try cleaning it with lighter fluid and "NO OIL" is recommended after cleaning,

Hope that fixes it.

J E CUSTOM
Old 05-24-2014, 12:21 PM
Gold Member

If your going to pull it apart, look for microscopic particles of anything in/on or about the mechanism.
My recommendation:
Don't pull it apart. Send it back the Jewell with a copy of the original receipt and a note explaining the problem.
What you describe is why I don't use Jewell triggers. My experience with them firing without the assistance of the shooter has made me wary.

American riflemans triad - God, guts and guns. It built America and it'll preserve America. Abandon one and you lose them all.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:04 PM
Silver Member

roger that. I'll give it a thorough cleaning when I get in. IF that doesn't help I'll try to hunt down the receipt and send it back to jewell and see what they can do with it.
McSwirly A-5
Jewel trigger
Old 05-24-2014, 09:54 PM
Bronze Member

+1 for J E .....clean it with lighter fluid....