Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

JB Weld for bedding?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2011, 01:18 PM

JB Weld for bedding?

I have read several articles online where JB Weld is used for bedding actions. Is this something that alot of people do? How would is hold up compared to the epoxy that come sin most bedding kits? Thanks for any info.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:13 PM
Silver Member

Re: JB Weld for bedding?

Devcon is what you use for bedding, similar to JB Weld but I doubt the 2 are exactly the same. I know Devcon sticks better to old oily wood stocks and bonds better with the gel coat on composite stocks too. Use aerosol mold spray release as your release agent.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:16 PM
Platinum Member

I've used JB weld quite a bit. It works great, but it is a bit more liquid than Devcon.

I use Kiwi neutral shoe polish for release agent.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:33 AM
Platinum Member

Before you buy any epoxy compound, go online and check the shrinkage factor. Also find out how hard it is when it cures. Some of the it is almost like rubber when it's done. I use JB Weld for scope bases mostly, and some stuff called MarineTex inside stocks (I also use a couple others). Super Belzonia is better than Devcon in my opinion, and you can add steel or lead shot to it for the recoil lug area. Seems to be a low shrinkage compound as well. I've never used JB Weld for a full bedding, but looks like it would work just fine
gary
Old 01-25-2011, 11:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
I've used JB weld quite a bit. It works great, but it is a bit more liquid than Devcon.

I use Kiwi neutral shoe polish for release agent.
never tried the shoe polish! But I will. Most manufacturers in industrial useage have their release agents made by Johnson & Johnson, and it virtually the samething as Pledge. I used Pledge for years without a hangup (now that's the pun of the day!). Whatever you use, be sure that the metal is completely dry and at room temps. Solvents will kill all release agents on contact.
gary
Old 01-25-2011, 01:55 PM
Platinum Member

I like the Steel bed from Brownells because it dries slowly(1 to 3 hours depending on
the temperature) allowing some work time.

It is thick enough to not be runny and very predictable.

As it hardens I can remove the excess on the outside without disturbing the bedding.

I also use paste wax as a release agent .

This stuff needs 2 or 3 days to harden before firing the rifle.

There are many other brands of bedding compound, but I like this one.

I have not tried JB Weld , but have tried others.

J E CUSTOM
Old 01-25-2011, 03:18 PM
Platinum Member

steel bed is nothing but Super Belzona with steel shot added to it. I've even seen it sent from Brownells with the S.B. lables on the containers. But buy the stuff without it, and then you can add whatever you want to. Now they have even better stuff on the market.
gary