Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

jag broken in bolt housing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 11:41 AM

jag broken in bolt housing

Well its a banner day here in Arizona, My son just broke a plastic jag and patch off inside the disassembled bolt body of my rem 700! Its in there good and is not gonna come out. Ive thought of trying to melt it ( either with heat or by chemical) Looks like we might be looking at a new bolt and the associated gunsmith fees to lap and space a new bolt. This can't be the first time in history this has happened, I'm wondering how much this lesson is gonna cost him.!! So any body know a good gunsmith here in south Arizona?

Last edited by johnnybruch; 04-28-2013 at 11:49 AM. Reason: incomplete
Old 04-28-2013, 11:49 AM
Platinum Member

Re: jag broken in bolt housing

Could you thread a long screw into it? Maybe pre-drill first to lessen the swell?

Jeff
Old 04-28-2013, 11:58 AM

would acetone or some other solvent melt/soften the broken jag plastic enough to make the diameter of the jag and patch smaller so it would just come out? Could i put the bolt housing in the oven upside down and hope the plastic melts that way??? Any ideas???
Old 04-28-2013, 12:26 PM
Platinum Member

I would think the plastic used in a jag would be pretty chemical resistant.

Heat could be risky.

How far in is it?

Jeff
Old 04-28-2013, 12:30 PM

all the way in- it has a patch wrapped around it - thats what makes it so tight. It will slide (if pushed) back and forth but won't come out past the threads of the bolt. I tried needle nose pliers and twisted hopng the patch woule "thread" its way out but no such luck-- she's a stuck!
Old 04-28-2013, 12:44 PM
Platinum Member

If it is moving there is plenty hope. I suggest you seek a long 1/8th drill bit. Carefully drill it as close to center as possible. Then buy a long screw a little larger than 1/8th dia. Then screw it in and pull it out.

Jeff

Keep the boy along side for the repair. He will learn tons from this. I have done much worse and was probably old enough to know better.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:44 PM
Bronze Member

I like Broz suggestion. I will add......use a self tapping sheet metal screw. Buy one size slightly larger than 1/8 in. as suggested and 1 slightly larger than that just in case. Be very sure to screw all the way to the bottom before you attempt extraction. You might want to spray or drip a small amount of penetrating oil like Blaster to help things move.
It sounds as if you really have a good chance of removal. Just go slow at each stage.
Oh yes it is a bannerr day herre in AZ if you like 100 degrees in April.

Good Luck!!